Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Piriformis Syndrome

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
I have been suffering from piriformis syndrome for at least 3 years now. I have tried injections, ultra sound, PT, medication, and stretching. Nothing has worked. My pain is most severe when sitting. I have read about a new kind of MRI developed by Dr. Aaron Filler called MR neurography. This allows the Dr. to actually see the nerves. I am planning on calling to schedule an appointment for this soon and was wondering if anyone else out there has tried it.

• Hi there,

Sorry you have had a rough go of it with your piriformis, I have been going through it for the past year myself. Mine is co-mingled with SI joint disfunction and spinal stenosis and DDD.

I have just started hearing about the new MRI, my PT said it was supposed to be very thorough when it came to pinpointing the exact area(s) that are causing the pain. I asked 3 Dr's and they have not heard of one in my area so I am a bit bummed.

I am sorry I could not be of more help, but I wish you the best of luck because I know how much my life has changed due to this and I hate to think of anyone going through it if there is a chance to get the the bottom of it. (no pun intented)

• Hi, I am new here.... I had the neurogram MRI recently and it finally showed the extent of my nerve compression! I live in the Bay Area of CA. My pain dr at Stanford actually sent me to UCSF for this as Stanford doesnt even have the machine yet. My pain dr does a lot of researching and I was lucky enough to get him as a dr. He never gave up and continued to try what he could to help find the proof of my problems. It finally showed that I have multiple compressions in areas that it never showed on the regular MRI. I have disc protrusion L3-S1, bone spurs, plus a lot of swelling and piriformis sydrome that never lets up on my nerves. I have had 2 surgeries but in different areas... I am waiting for an appt at UCSF to talk with Dr Weinstien a neurosurgeon to see what kind of surgery I need. I have had pain basically from the waist, hips buttucks, groin, legs inner and outer to my feet...I cant take the pain anymore and although I dont want another surgery, I have tried everything already and I need relief. My dr said I wont be totally free of pain with all the DDD and stenoisis, spurs in other areas but it should take care of the leg pain and get me back to life again...right now I live in bed and it makes my boys sad. I just want to be able to run errands, clean, cook and most importantly do more with my kids before they grow up!!!

Ok, so my point is, that it is relatively new and not a lot of hospitals have the machine but hopefully that changes soon since they are much much better at finding nerves problems....

Take care all.....