Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible repeat discectomy or fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Help, the leg pain is horrible. I had a discectomy on L5S1 in Dec.08, feel great for 2 months, then the pain returned ,worst than before, tried epi's, no luck, repeated in May 08, had physical therapy, much better but not 100%, returned to work in Sept 08, then Jan 09 pain returned and each week getting worst,Off work again, (am MED TECH in busy oncology lab) Do not do well on any type codiene. I am on Ultram, tylenol, 800 ibuoprofen, and this week Nuerosurgeon put me on a Medrol Pack. MRI on Tues., but pretty sure that disc is on S1 nerve again.This nerve pain is horrible, flat on my back again. Do I go for fusion or another discectomy. Any feedback?

• I too work in a busy Oncology clinic. I had a microdiscectomy 4 weeks ago and the pain has never improved. I saw my neurosurgeon yesterday and he thinks another fragment of disc has broken off and pinching S1 nerve. He put me on still another Medrol Dose pack and I am scheduled to have another MRI next Tuesday unless there is a cancelation and they call me in early. If surgery would ease the pain I would be ready to do it. I just hope this pain in the calf and foot isn't something I have to live with. How has your work been about you missing work? I hope you improve soon.
  • I am part time but work full time most of the time. I am sure I'll never get "official" full time since this is my third go-around with my back and medical leave. My co- workers are the best, but the adminisrtation is frustation I am sure. I am a 10 year employee. The sad thing is I love my job , but I am on my feet all the time. I, too have incredible calf pain. My MRI is also Tues., the Wed am back to see surgeon. Also I am the mom of 16 yr old triplets, back never the same after pregnancy. My husband job was eliminated 1 week before christmas, so I am such the stress is not helping.
  • I hope you come back and report to us the results of Your MRI. Since mine is on the same day. I don't have all the pressure of children and loss of jobs. I do sympathize with you. The stress would certainly delay healing both physically and mentally. I will centainly be following your posts. God Bless you.
  • Sorry you are in pain.
    Will they be using contrast for the new MRI?

(if it were me, I'd push off the fusion for as long as comfortably / safely possible)

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I was wondering how your MRI went. I got the results of mine done this morning and I have reherniated l5-s1. I'm waiting for a call back from my neurosurgeon to see what the next step will be. I also found out that I have bulging disc at L1-2, L3-4,L4-5. I hope you get better news. Please let us know how you are doing.