Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Talked to NS and scared

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I talked to my NS's nurse today about the lower back pain and increased pressure I've been feeling in my numb foot. Just a little background...I had a MicroD six months ago, and had resulting numbness in my right foot and some in right lower leg this entire time. In the past few weeks, I've noticed my foot feels like it burns or someone has stepped on it. I have new back pain that aches around the L5-S1 level, but it's not down my hip and leg like last time. The pain is only a level 2 to 4.

The nurse says the NS is concerned about the new symptoms. They think it could be one of three things:

1. The nerves are coming back to life
2. I've reherniated my disk
3. The tear I had at my last surgery still hasn't healed and it's causing pain.

They recommend taking Lyrica for 6 days to see if that affects the nerve pain. If it makes it lesson, then they feel the pressure and pain is from the nerves coming back to life. If it doesn't work, then I go in for another MRI to see if I have reherniated (which means another MicroD?). If it's a tear, they say there's nothing that can be done but take pain medicine.

Does this sound like the usual course of action? I am currently on 100mg of Zoloft -- will the Lyrica interact with it?

I am so afraid I have reherniated again. I had such a hard time with it mentally and physcially last time, that I just dread this. I haven't lifted anything heavy, and I've been careful bending. Thanks you all for listening!

• Don't want to scare you at all but I had no numbness at all until my first laminectomy in Feb08 and 4 total laminectomies.discectomies and leg is worse that ever new surgeon now have to have a fusion and ADR because the L5 vertibra has fallen and is crushing my S1 if I could go back I think I would of lived in pain the way I was I could walk normal most of the time and could feel my leg and foot.. I wish you the best of luck I am sorry you are having a hard time
  • Also it was always explained to me when I asked about the numbness they would say oh the nerve this or that and they would go back in and parts of the disc had particuled off and landed on my nerve like 4 time not.. Put your mind at rest and get another opinion I wish I would have now I am going to a doctor that seem wonderful he said he only wants to go in once and that is it.. I guess the difference between NS and OS .. NS want to play GOD..
  • If the nerve is comming back to life. You'll be better right?
  • Thanks for the replies. Yes, if the nerve is coming back to life, it will eventually stop hurting. I can live with the pain, it's not that bad. My only concern is that it's an indication of something wrong that will require more surgery.

I am starting Lyrica today, and I pray it works! The weirdest feeling is the little tremors that happen. Not painful, just weird, like someone is shocking my foot. I have the numbess that has been there since the surgery, but it's more intense now, and there's pressure in places on my foot like someone is pushing on it. Then it stops. My ache in my back around the L5-S1 is also not severe. It feels like I used to have when I was under a lot of stress. But it's been there now for two weeks off an on. The nurse says that may be a nerve too.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm praying it is just the nerves coming back.