Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

It's 1 am and I have a new label for my pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
Greetings, friends!

Today was an eye-opener. I'm sitting here at the PC, because lying in bed isn't helping. I'm exhausted and yet the pain is outrageous. It's burning and pulling at my brain. The room is nearly spinning from medication and yet sleep is nowhere in sight. I just gave up and took a sleeping pill, but having learned a likely name for what is causing so many of the symptoms along with the pain lately, I thought I would ping to see if anyone here is familiar with it: Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), formerly known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD).

It seems that the hyperalgesia that the skin doctor diagnosed, along with the odd issues with feeling too hot at weird times, and needing air blowing on me along with swelling in my shoulder and neck, and waking up the past few weeks most days with 3 of my fingers in my left hand numb all point towards this possibility to explain what's going on with the chronic pain.

What isn't good is that two of the standard treatments for this, the epidural injections of anti-inflammatories and the physiotherapy (which made my heck hurt much worse) ... were completely failures. There is some sort of block, though, which may help. Anyway, now I'm trying to get my Primary Care physician to send me to a good neurologist, as the PM (Pain Manager?) whom I saw on Sunday is only interested in how I'm dealing with the current doses of the cocktail of medications for the pain that is on my current plate of treats each day. He just doesn't care much about the side effect things...

After spending some time catching up with one of my private and friendly advisors, who is in town (a thoughtful and kindly anesthesiologist), and after he performed an exam and gave me some trigger point injections for the shoulder, did some analysis and came up with this. It's no joke and does help explain some things.

Anyway, if anyone has some form of this, ideally related to a neck injury causing chronic pain (22 months, every waking hour), please do let me know. I'd love to learn from your experiences.

Much obliged,

NB off to try sleeping some more... anyone up for some late night pain poker? Ciao and Feel well, all :-)

• You'll find some others here with that. It was considered for me except there is no swelling so it did not fit. Hope you find sleep soon. It's only 6:24 pm here so you're actually not up very late!
  • Hello.I thought your post was informative and interesting!

Have the TPI's helped you at all? I had 12 trigger point injs. in Feb but have had no relief.In Jan I had an ESI and last year between June and Jan I had ESI's in my neck that were unsuccessful as well.

Is there heat in the area where you have pain & swelling?Just curious.

I have the same type of pain/symptoms but have not been diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), formerly known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD).It could be that as a chronic pain patient,I don't really care so much any more what they call 'it',as long as they treat my pain and I can live a somewhat normal life.

Sounds pathetic I know..but after being in pain so long I need some time to regain my strength before I fight for a diagnoses.

I hope that you are getting some sleep :)))
  • I was briefly diagnosed with possible RSD in January. Right away my Dr. sent me to the neuro to get a Stellate Ganglion Block to determine the diagnosis, & to experiment with pain relief. That shot was definitely the worst. (& I've had them all). It isn't that painful, just very uncomfortable and made me sick. The relief only lasted 3 days...they will only consider another one if you have relief for at least 2 weeks. It is injected in the front of your neck in between your air pipe & jugular vein. There is a small chance of seizure if medication goes into eighter one of those areas.
    Not much more mention of this by my Drs. lately. I am being treated for fibro & Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, which can have similar symptoms.
    Good point Robin, I am also sick of all these diagnosis's!! I just want a solution with pain relief. Right now I'm still in PT, and it helps somewhat. I still have "many sleepless nights", too. I hope you can get an answer to your problems.
  • hi!! :H if you are up a night, stop by the "Sleep Problems" forum. (|: there is usually always someone up there! good luck with your pain problems! get some sleep! I) Jenny :)
This discussion has been closed.