Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I had a Laminectomy on Friday, 27 February and are now back at home. Feel extremely good and have no more pain. The problem was in the L5/S1 Level where they had to remove a disc (i think this is how you call it). Bottom line, I feel good and dr advised me not to run for the next 9 months. Apparently, there is another disk just on top of the one he had to remove that might cause the same problem, but did not want to remove it at the same time as it is not problamatic at this point in time. Question: 1. What do I have to do to ensure that I do not end up having another surgery. 2. May i ever go back running again .... remember I love my running and would love to at least participate in Two Oceans again, maybe not 2010, but 2011!? Is this possible?

• Hi Milly:
    I am so glad your surgery went well and you are home feeling good. I am not sure when you will be able to run again, but my NS told me I will be golfing in the spring of 2010 after my Laminectomy(scheduled May 12/09).He knows I am an avid golfer and says I will be good to go by then. Good luck with your recovery and take it easy and try to have patience. How many days where you in the hospital?
    Nana Shan
  • Don't run. No more high-impact. Your knees and back will thank you for it. You may be okay for a while, but your back has been compromised and you really should find other exercises like swimming or biking that are not as harsh on your back.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I'd discuss this with your surgeon and PCP. You seem to love running to a point that it may be hard to give up, that I can understand. On the other side of the coin I have to agree with Dana, the impact on your spine is not in the best of your interest. I had a lami in 06 to L4 thru L6 but I had quit running prior to that. But our issues may be different as my vertabrae is turning into junk, plain and simple.
    Even if you didn't run competetively, that may be an option you could discuss with your physicians.
    Best of luck to you,
  • Thank you for your comment. I had the OP on Friday, 27th and was released on Saturday, 28th after the NS examined me and was extremely exited about the quick recovery and the excersizes I had to do. I also got up from bed and started walking in the passage - thus the reason for him allowing me to go home and recover at the comfort of my home. I am still well, but it felt to me like the pain in the left leg is coming back again. According to the NS, this is normal as the nerve is trying to recover which might take months. I will see him on Tuesday to remove the clips. Good luck with your OP in May, 12th. I will be thinking of you and pray that all goes well. Please keep in touch and let me know how it went.
  • Hi Dana, thank you for your honest reply, I must admit this was not what I wanted to hear as Running (apart from my religion and family) is my EVERYTHING - this is the time (when the time is right) I use to talk about how Great our God is and when I'm upset, talk to Him - as He is my saviour. My hart is broken thinking that I cannot run for rest of 09, let alone for the rest of my life, but if that is what i have to do to prevent me ending up in a wheel chair ... then so be it.
  • Thank you for your comment. It's hard to even think of not being able to run for the rest of my life. I will take your and Dan's advise and discuss it with my NC. I'll keep in touch. Are your back fine now? What other sport do you do?
  • They probably did not remove the whole disc. Just enough for the decompression. The operative report/notes should have the details.

I would everything the Dr advises.

How about race walking?

• Thanks for your reply. Will ask dr about race walking and even swimming if I am not allowed to run anymore. I can then maybe start doing Duathlon's?! I'm having the clips removed on Tuesday, 10 March and will ask him all these questions. Thanks for your advise.
  • Hi Milly:

First question "clips" can you explain what they are?.. Used instead of stitches? Also a Duathlon I have not heard that term before either. Kinda feel dumb this morning??
    Nana Shan
  • I think you should ask yourself if you can take the chance of re-injuring yourself and going through the painful ordeal all over again. I will give up anything, besides my loved ones, to avoid the pain. The pain not only brought physical torture, but mental anguish, no social life,no traveling (our trip to Europe got cancelled), off from work (which I love), and putting stress on my marriage.

If your doctor advises you not to run, then don't. That's my advice. I think I could give up one thing to enjoy so many other things in my life that brings me joy.
  • I am not sure which procedure you had, but I have never heard of removing a disc if you only had a Lamenectomy. Had 2 of them before this fusion. My doctor told me that he could have only done a Lam., and the pressure would have been gone, but there was enough fluid left in the disc to cause the problem again. I understand the procedure of a Lam. is to go in and remove what has come out of the disc to relieve the pressure on the nerves. I was also told the longer you wait after finding the problem, the harder the procedure is. My doctor told me that the fluid had the consistance of chewing gum. When it first happens, it is the consistance of gum right out of your mouth. The longer you wait, it is the same thing as putting gum on a counter, and coming back an hour later and feeling it. It you wait too long, they have to go in and chip it out.
  • I am still on a learning curve about the biology and physiology of the back and all its components. The analogy of the chewing gum really explains the stuff out of a ruptured disc clearly. You have a great dr.
  • I was told I will be able to run again, but to wait until I'm 100% fused. I was running 36 miles a week and I've raced in a few triathlons. However, I do not plan on racing in anymore triathlons.

I would wait until the full 9 months before running again if that is what the doctor advised.