Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7.5 Months Post Op Report - a success story

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone!

I just had my NS apt. yesterday and I officially got a 'You're doing better than most in your recovery' comment from the dr.

I am back to the weight I was 2 years ago when I first went to the NS (which is still 15 lbs over what I was before the accident - but I've lost the 20 lbs I put on while I was off work)

I've not needed any prescriptions and am only taking Tylenol.

Apparently I have Peek cages - which is allowing some flexibility in the spine - this is really good for trying to keep my L3 from going out in the near future.

The only thing that is really a pain right now (other than the atrophy that I exercise for) is that he said I'm going to probably need to have my hardware removed.

THAT was a shocker.

I really want to KEEP my hardware. It makes me feel safe.

It is causing a catch in my back though. He pushed on the spot I'm having trouble with and said he thinks it's a screw head that is catching on the muscle. It gives me a pretty major backache everyday - I'll just have to see where I am at in July when I go back.

He prescribed a Tens unit, told me to move to just home stretching instead of a PT and forgot to change my restrictions (I'll call on that on Monday).

And that's my success so far story :)

• I will be having 2 level fushion on April 9 and need a little encouragement from someone who has been there. Appreciate the positive message
  • Are you having S1-L4 done? That was my 2 level - a very common one.

One comment from my dr. - 'a positive attitude makes a bigger difference than you would normally think'

It made me feel like my 'forced positive no matter what' look at life was a very very good thing.

Best of luck on the 9th - I remember the pre-op days, my blood pressure (stress levels) was out of control!

• That is what I am having. My surgeon has already commented on my positive attitude and how it will make things easier. My stress is more work related because they don't appear to understand that I am not doing this for laughs. Kind of sad isn't it?
  • I really appreciate reading success stories while in recovery. Being flat on my back most of the time can make me stir crazy, since I am always usually on my feet.

I am happy to hear that you are doing so well. Best wishes!
  • Oh- you reminded me of what my co-workers are saying now!

I get SO many comments now on how much better I move! It was a surprise to me to hear it - I am one of those people who try to hide their pain and hate it when people ask me how I am doing (who wants to hear it - I mean seriously??! They don't mean it, it's just a reflex question - ah, but I digress)anyway... in some ways it's sad to know that I was not hiding things well before, but VERY good to know that I am noticibly better now :)