Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Running with Spinal Stenosis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Spinal Stenosis

I was diagnosed with Lumbar Spinal Stenosis a few years ago after experiencing burning/numbness in legs. I'm 32 year old now. I run a few miles a day, 3-4 days per week but would like to increase mileage. I wanted to see if anyone else out there has experience with Spinal Stenosis and running.

• I had to quit running, but I also had a disc pressing on my spinal cord. I would ask your doctor and see what they recommend. I was told not to run. It's been 6 months and I was running 36 miles a week.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    But to know if your stenosis and running are going to create more problems, talk to your doctor.
    From the layman's point of view I am sure you will get both sides. The runners who feel that by keeping in shape, running and exercising, most problems will take care of themselves, vs those that feel that too much activity will hurt them.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am a 51 yr. old male who up until July/08 was running 10kms/6 miles a day. As usual got all the symptoms and an MRI confirmed spinal stenosis. I had pain up until 5 weeks ago. I had been walking daiy pain free. Recently tried running for about 3 kms. lasted 2 days and today back pain returned. So I do not know if running is going to ever be in my future. I did all the stretching before and after. I find it hard to think I will never run again but so far I have seen or read anything that looks promising. My doctor did say no running for at least a year.... if ever.
  • I injured my L4 8 years ago adn was fianlly diagnosed 2 years ago. When I was able to run I could run6 miles but as soon as I started to walk I got the burning and tingling sensations. I have now been in a NO run mode for over 2 years and spend most of my time in the pool. I found that over the years it only got worse between the hunting, deep sea fishing, running, cutting/loading/splitting/stacking wood, trail running, etc... Now I have L4-L5 fusion planned for November.

Good luck with you back.
  • hi there

new to here..., have same concern about running.. haven't had any surgery yet, putting it off for as long as possible.. mri shows c5-c6 stenosis, herniated disc..currently very mild symptoms (fingers tingle). But I cut back from about 20 miles per week, to once or twice a week, 2-3 miles, slow.. keeping up with swimming 1/2 miles twice a week.. i find that swimming reduces the tingling/mild numbness in the fingers, and the sauna after seems to help as well..

but, i expect that running will decrease further down the road

Does anyone know if, after acdf, running can be restarted eventually?

• I would think swimming would be really bad for your spinal problems. What stroke are you swimming that it doesn't hurt your neck?
  • Hi
    I am doing simple crawl stroke, but not stretching my arms fully forward, that seems to irritate something. Also breathing both sides to avoid over exercising one side. I found the breast stroke worse, since it requires popping your head up and down.. that didn't seem smart.