Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks out of alif l5/s1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i was really happy at first.when they got me up to walk i could tell that i was doing better,beside the aches and pain from the surgery site.Any way today i had set back i think,when i went to stand that old pain came shooting threw mylower calf and on the inner side of right foot, icould hardly put full pressure on my foot.But i made myself do it. People say not to worry about it unless it last couple days, i pray that kind of pain leaves,very hard to live with that one. I mean my doc told me you should feel great improvement, but you still will have some degree of pain.I just pray i can handle it... any thanks for listening

• It can be scary when you have those moments where you feel something hurting and you are worried that it is the old pains coming back. I know exactly how you feel. If things get worse, you should keep a journal and definitely call you surgeon. I had a lot of twitches in my legs and arms around that time. They were so random. I guess it's froms the nerves waking up or something.

My advice to you is to NOT overdo it. You may feel wonderful and want to take advantage of that time to catch up on some house work or other things you had to let go but be sure you are paying attention to BLT restrictions and not pushing yourself into pain. That was my biggest mistake.

If you need any advice or just someone who's had similar surgery to chat with, feel free to PM me. I had my ALIF L5/S1 7/1/08.

Are you going to be going to PT?
  • I am at the 6 week stage of my ALIF L4-S1 (still getting used to these abbreviations!).

I am doing really well, I felt hardly any pain up until now, but I was only either lying down or walking on the treadmill. Went to see my consultant last week for a check up and he told me to increase my routine to include driving, more sitting and keep on with the walking. Yesterday I woke up during the night with sciatica (something I rarely had before) and had a numb foot for my 1st daily walk on the treadmill.

I took extra pain meds last night, slept really well and feel great today.

You are right though, every twinge and ache makes me feel terrified that I am going to have a relapse, but I am positive in my outlook and I WILL get better. Start my PT on Friday and looking forward to getting some muscle strength back in my back to hopefully cut down on the little niggles I am having.

Good luck!
  • i am so glad to hear other people feel the same way. I am sure by now my husband is so sick of hearing back problems, he acts like he is listeng but,,,,,,lol. anyway i go back to nerosurgen 4/17/09 i think, i think then i will start pt. I hope you are doing okay today,its beautiful outside today i still cant do alot but i will get out and enjoy this weather, Happy St.Patricks Day..... take care...