Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disability Rating

motoratormmotorator Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I have an appointment with my Dr this Friday.

I have reached MMI but have never rec'd a disability rating. We have never discussed a disability rating.

I had a 4 level PLIF on 11-7-2007. The Dr said not to lift more than 30 lbs. I have rt hip pain and can not walk far or stand or sit long.

What do I ask for? Is a disability rating a percentage? Is it a letter stating my limitations.

I am unemployed at the moment.

Thank you.

• Not sure waiting still? Hope u have better luck talking to them than I. Someone on here can surely give u advise!!
  • a higher number may help you get S.S. ime a few points below coz i let the W.C. insurance co have their way.
    ask your doc or social security rep before anything
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• First off, are you specifically referring to social security disability or workers compensation disability?

In most states, doctors will only provide a disability rating if petitioned to do so. I belive this is partially due to the time it takes the doctor to perform the documentation and they typically charge for that.

There is a guidebook doctors use to set a disability rating. Some states go by the book, others use their own formulation. Typically, the guidebook assigns a 10% rating per disk level fused. But, this is subjective based on the prognosis of your doctor.

When going for a disability rating, I highly recommend you consult an attorney. SSD can be very tricky and drawnout.

I received a 25% permenant partial disability rating for my 2 level 360 ALIF. I should have receieved 20%, but I had some issues occur during surgery which has done harm to my body. Because of that, I receieved another 5%.

If you are still having issues after surgery (and who doesn't!) I would make sure that you get to see a pain management doctor. I would discuss this issue with him/her.

Hope this helps!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • One more thing I forgot to address from your post. There is an evaluation you can go through that most PT providers administer that is a fitness assesment. It is roughly a 3 hour exam that covers paperwork and actual physical work so they can see how you perform. Once they complete the evaluation, they forward those results to the treating or ordering doctor and they use that as the justification for limitations.

This is how it was done for me and some others that have been around this site for a couple of years. I'm sure different processes occur across the US depending on what state you live.

• Hip Pain - tomorrow at the Dr I want to address the rt hip pain. Feels like the hip joint to me but I am told that with real hip joint problems the pain presents themselves in the groin. Should the Dr order an MRI to evaluate the hip joint? The last time I saw him he felt it was nerve impengment and ordered Lidocaine patches. They did nothing.

Rating - I have not applied for work here in Fla since my last surgery. Do I have to detail my physical limitations on the applications? If so I thought getting a disability rating work help....document the limitations. I am not applying for SSI or WC. I am 64 years old and already on social security.

All suggestions are appreciated.

PS: I seem to be able offer tons of suggestions for others but can't seem to figure out the best way to approach fixing this hip pain.
  • I am not sure how they are rated, and if you are on SS, would having some disability on top of that increase you payout? Is there additional Workman's Comp that you are also seeking?

• I am not sure how they are rated, and if you are on SS, would having some disability on top of that increase you payout? Is there additional Workman's Comp that you are also seeking?

I don't know about the SS. I am not on WC at all.

• Most likely, SSA will not increase payment without a rating being established by your doctor. It may be in your interest to simply call your doctor and ask his staff if they have delt with this type of situation and if they could give you any guidance. They will probably tell you to see an attorney.

As far as hip pain, mine did the same thing. My surgeon said that was from a combination of laying on it and the brace I wore for the first 6 weeks. So, I laid on my other side (away from the TV and adjusted my brace not to ride on my hip. After a couple of weeks, the nerves calmed down and I wasn't in so much pain.

• I will talk to the staff about SSA.

I saw the Dr today. The xray of the spine looked good. My hips have a little arthritis going on.

The Dr said he's not sure if the cause of the pain is the hips or the spine at this point so he ordered and MRI which is this Monday.

Thank you.