Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

had my anterior//posterior fusion with discectomy 2-24

susiessusie Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi everyone. this is the first day I feel like I could sit at the table and turn on my laptop. I think it will be a quick trip though. I had my fusion as scheduled on 2-24. It was almost 9 hours long. The fusion was fine. I woke up in recovery and they took me to a room. My husband had a cot in my room. The 2nd night my blood pressure dropped to 60 over 35. It took 3 blood transfusions and 3 days to get it stabilized to an acceptable reading. I don't remember him even being there or anything about the blood transfusions or problems. They decided I needed an emergency catscan to check for brain damage or kidney damage because of the low blood pressure for that long. When they were getting me settled after the catscan I fell out of bed somehow. I barely remember that. I had an emergency chest xray after that and kind of remember it hurting a lot being moved around but I somehow didn't hurt myself in the fall. Then of all things, they gave me oxycontin, a large I'm sure as allowable dose to handle the pain - well, it clashed with all of the anethisa I had during my long surgery. I was allergic to the oxycontin. I had vivid hallucinations for 3 and part of a 4th day. I wish I didn't remember them but I do. I called 911 from my hospital bed in the middle of the night because I thought I heard people in the hall saying my husband was killed in a car accident at a dangerous intersection here. It was just horrible. My husband called my therapist and she came up to talk to me. By the time he had thought to call her and she came, it was the afternoon that I had realized all of these things couldn't be true and must be hallucinations. I had doctors, nurses, telling me I was not thinking correctly - I kind of 95% knew a few days into the hallucinations that they couldn't be true but the rest of me believed them. It was so frightening. I was very relieved when my mind began to clear up. Then my voice was very shaky but that also went away. They were forced to take me off of pain medication because they were having to use like a process of elimination to figure out what was causing the hallucinations. I was in a lot of pain but don't remember a lot of it. I was awake for 3 days straight, no sleep. Instead of being in the hospital for 5 - 9 days I was there almost 3 weeks. After my mind came back to me, they transferred me to a well known rehabilitation hospital here. That was when I really got some better physically. It was such an experience - I can't even say. My actual fusion though and I had 50 staples, it's from right below my shoulders to my tailbone - I'm told looks beautiful. A physical therapist told me the incision is so straight and so good that it almost looks like it was done by a machine. I also had a rib removed and a discectomy. I am an inch taller. My pain medicine wears off every 4 hours and for the first time last night I slept through the night. My husband woke me for my medicine and I went right back to sleep. I was in the rehab hospital for a week. I got home from there a week ago yesterday. I made so many friends there. This is the first day I haven't had any excruciating pain. I get tired easily and have to fight myself to stay out of bed. My out patient therapy starts Wed. It is 3 times a week and pool therapy only. My appetite is pretty bad but I am trying really hard every day to eat better. I am worn out now but wanted to post. I didn't expect to be in the hospital for 3 weeks and to have all of the complications. It was not in any way my surgeons fault or the hospitals fault, I just had those complicatons. I was on the trauma surgery floor and they said that is exactly what it was, the trauma of the long surgery was about too much for me. I hope everyone else had good luck with their surgeries and look forward to reading them another day. The not bending lifting or twisting is really challenging isn't it? I have been very dizzy too. I hope all the March and April surgeries go well. Even with my problems I feel like I had a great surgery - I never expected the pain afterward - they just can't give me as much pain medication as they would have because of my terrible reaction - which is fine with me. It hurts but I am making it. Susie