Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone experience pain and burning along the collar bone?

Serenity6SSerenity6 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
For a while now, I have been experiencing pain and burning along the collar bones. I think that maybe this is muscle pain. Does any one have this symptom and is it associated with cervical discs problems?
advertisement

Comments

• My collar bones bothers me a lot. I feel like my shoulders are being drawed inward. My chiropractor has even suggested that my shoulders seems as if they are drawing in due to muscle spasms.

Scully- my skin in sore to touch in those areas too. Hoestly I believe it is all the muscles in my neck and shoulders drawing up because my neck bothers me so bad. That is just a guess though.
  • how many different and odd symptoms you can have with cervical spine issues. I was very ignorant before my surgery and I had so many different issues. One of the things that was bothering me the most was severe muscle pain in my left arm in the muscle below the elbow. Even though I knew I needed surgery and was having many problems, I thought that my arm problem was Tennis Elbow. Right before surgery I told my doc that I had Tennis Elbow, but I realized it might be from my neck issues.

Sure enough, it was gone right after surgery.

Cath
  • great! I believe that my muscles are drawing my shoulders in and causing my collar bone to hurt. I have to get my third set of epidural injections this evening. I am going to talk to him about it.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    I had burning/stabbing pain that started at the base of my neck that went along my collar bone out to my shoulder and down towards the middle of my back.
    I know understand that much of that was related to the problems I had with C5/C6. After that ACDF, I was ok for a couple of years, but similar problems cropped up. This time it was C6/C7, so another ACDF and then a good titanium plate with screws. I was fine for about 4 years. Similar problems, but this time more down the middle of my back. Short story, part of that stabbing/burning was because of my thoracic disc problems.
    But cervical issues can cause many different symptoms, but I believe all that have been there understand:
    Burning
    Stabbing
    Numbness
    Tingling
    Pain
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • They say that my T1 and C7 are the worst. Maybe there is a connection. I have wrote up a list to talk to my Pain doctor about this evening. Maybe he will listen.
  • Yes, I have incredible burning and spasming pain along my collar bone, but this began after my last surgery. I think you are right that it is pulling your shoulders forward. Mine are rounded forward now and when the pain is at its worst it is impossible to pull them back. Be sure to tell your doctor about this. It is important that you do exercises and stretches to keep things moving, but you should okay these with your doctor. By the way, my injury is all the way down to T1, so it could correlate, but I think it has to do more with the posterior muscles than the nerve or disc stuff.

Good luck. Sorry you are hurting so much.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • a list of topics that I want to talk to my doctor about today. If not I will forget them and I am want to make my self clear.

That is one of them. I think some of it could be posture because I am heavy in the chest, but I have noticed since my symptoms has progressed that it has gotten worse.

The list is as follows:

New symptoms:
    1. Numbness in tingling in the right arm and hand
    a. Do not have to be doing anything
    2. Severe headaches since last epidural injections
    a. Feels like electric pulses running up the neck and into the head
    b. Sensitive to light and sound
    c. Makes sick to stomach
    3. Weakness in my right hand arm
    a. Cannot squeeze objects as well
    b. Cannot lift objects as well
    c. Noticeable muscle deterioration
    d. Muscles are soar when squeezed
    4. Feel as if my muscles are drawing my shoulders inward
    a. Burning sensation in my collar bones
    b. Feels like muscles are soar on the inside and to touch
    5. Shooting stabbing pain that starts under the arm and runs into the arm and into hand
    a. Pulse like
    6. Starting to have trouble sleeping again due to neck and shoulder pain
    7. Starting to affect my job and home duties
  • You sound a lot like me, I had all on your list exaclty the same. I had a breaast reduction which helped a lot of the symptoms for a while however after taking care of my husband post op from ACL replacement they resurfaced. I am having ACDF tomorrow c4-c7. In my PT my therapist does work on my collarbone. It used to absolutely kill me, not so much anymore.
    There is some contraption(I never had it) that is like a strap that helps to pull your shoulders back. Maybe that might help?
    I also found a great amount of relief from the burning by using lidocaine patches on my shoulders. Ask about that too. It doesn't get rid of the tightness but makes life a little more bearable
  • I am glad that other people experience this too. That way I know that there is a possiblity that doctors has heard of it. 8>

I want to wish you the best of luck tomorrow with your surgery! When you get well enough, let us know how you are doing! >:D<
  • I also have these symptoms, except their on my left side. I am doing exercises to help my posture through my pt. I was up from 2:30am-8am due to all this pain! I then slept this morning for about 2 hours. This pain is really getting to me lately. I'm hoping your dr can help you. I don't see mine until the 2nd. Let us know what is being done.
    Amy
  • I have a herniated cervical disk and I have pretty severe collarbone pain, it even raidiates down to front of my chest.
    P.S Hello everone I am new to this forum and reading postings hase really helped me and let me know I'm not alone!
  • and welcome! I think you will enjoy this site. It has helped me tremendously! :)
  • I started experiencing the same thing after a month-long bout of the flu and a cold. I did a lot of coughing, took antibiotics for a lung infection, and finally kicked it after a month. Then a week later, I started this burning sensation on the left side of my collar bone. It appears to be somewhat swollen, but the skin looks normal and there's no lump underneath. I had a chest x-ray, which was normal. I went back to the doctor last week, and they thought it was shingles. I had never broken out with the blisters associated with shingles, however, so I don't think that's it. My niece is an RN and works for an Internalist. She thinks it might be my thyroid or my lymph nodes. She said start with blood work to check for thyroid, and if they don't find anything there, to ask for an MRI or CT scan. She is going to talk to her doctor and let me know what he thinks. I had a cousin who died from cancer a couple of years ago, though, and that's what is worrying me. I asked her why she went in or how she knew something was wrong. She said her neck hurt. She was dead a couple of months later. Is this something serious or not? If I just knew it wasn't anything life-threatening, I would feel a lot better. I got into a symptom checker online, and it said it could possibly be fibromyalgia, among a multitude of other things. I'm pretty positive it isn't my spine since I haven't had any injuries since my arthroscopic back surgery 10 years ago. I have feel totally normal since then, up until now. I will update my post if I find anything out. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this thing the doctors can't figure out.
  • Serenity6, your symptoms sound just like mine. The doctors have diagnosed me with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.
    They thought I had a bulged disc, but it didn't show on the MRI. I guess they have similar symptoms.
advertisement