Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Info on IDET procedure

pammieppammie Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question. At my last Dr. appt. my Dr. said that he wants to try the IDET procedure and only doing a fusion surgery on my lumbar area as a last resort. I will have a Discogram on 4/16 so they can determine which disc is causing me all of this pain, one doc thinks it is L4-L5 the other doc thinks it is L5-S1. Have any of you had this proceudre or heard anything about it? When I asked my Dr. what it was he never really explained it to me, all the info that I have I have gotten off the internet. I hope someone here can share their experience.

• a couple of weeks after a discogram put me in the dirt...good luck with THAT. But, my discogram showed an annular tear in the L5-S1, so I had an ortho surgeon perform an IDET. With me, it was a short outpatient procedure where I was in a recovery room for a few hours afterwards and released wearing a brace. Now, I'm going on my memory here from a few years ago, but no BLT for 6 weeks. The way my surgeon explained it to me was that all of the "healing" is after the fact as the collagen changes composition over time to self-seal the tear...that's why you really need to be careful even up to 6 months afterwards as to not undo the process and put you back to square one as if nothing was ever done. It seems as though a lot of surgeons are not too keen on this particular procedure saying that they're only 50-60% successful, but for me it's a lot easier than the fusion I just had. For me, it was successful as my fusion was at the L4-L5 level and there are no problems showing at the IDET level. Good luck if you do decide to have one done. For me, the pain during the week afterwards my IDET was a whole lot LESS than the week after my discogram
  • Thanks for your reply. I am not looking forward to the Discogram at all. My Dr. said that I will hate him by the time the test it done. I too had read that the IDET is about 60% effective so I will discuss this with my Dr. before I decide to give it a try.
  • Best wishes for tomorrow. I hope it works out for you. I haven't had this done but would consider it. I would want a second opinion for any surgery though. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I think you misunderstood my post. I am scheduled for the discogram on April 16th then a follow up appt. with the doctor the following week to discuss having the IDET done. As far as a second opinion regarding surgery, I agree with you that any kind of surgery should never be taken lightly. This is the third surgeon that has said that I need surgery in the last 10 years or so. The previous doctors said I was too young and wouldn't even touch me after exhausting all conservative treatments. So I have just been living with my lower back issues for the last 10 plus years, they pain hasn't been too bad for the most part but for the last 6 months or so it has become more than I can take as I am now also getting some leg pain and those weird nerve sensations. If my doctor thinks that the IDET procedure will work for me, I am all for it.
  • Sorry for the double post!