Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 days post op ACDF so far so good!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I really can't believe how well this is going. I still have some minor numbness/tingling in my hands but legs/feet are back to normal. My balance is really good. The past 3 days I took an hour long walk. Today I showered myself & washed my hair (with some difficulty & breaking my restrictions slightly).

I still have a lot of muscle spasms & aches but they are fairly well controlled with Flexeril 10mg Q8hr along with 1 Percocet about 4times/day. The only thing is I'm tired pretty much all the time. Maybe it's the pills but I don't think that's a lot of meds. I stopped taking the Benadryl & just put up with the itching cause I was soooo sleepy. The bruises on my hands & wrists from the nerve conduction studies are very ugly looking but the swelling has come down. Anyone else have that happen to them?

Well, think I'll take a little nap. My eyes are closing as usual. I just wanted to give those preparing for this surgery a success story to give them hope. Take care everyone

• I'm glad you're doing so well, Joann. Did you find that the anticipation was worse than the surgery itself?

Being tired is normal - your body is working very hard to heal. You may not always feel it, but there's a little army in your neck fighting away to get you better.

I didn't have any bruises from the nerve conduction tests, but I had three lumps on my head (one above each ear and on the top of my head) where they used traction to stretch my spine so they could put the new disc stuff in there.

I still have muscle spasms and aching in my neck and continue to take flexiril and hydrocodone, not a lot, but I'm glad it's there when I need it.

Again, congratulations my friend. Excellent work!

• Yes the anticipation was worse :)))

I have been able to eat normal foods but I prefer very soft things. I don't really have much of an appetite. I did not have nausea at any point. It seems that my throat feels more swollen every day but that I can deal with! As I said on another post I was able to sleep on my side (with LOTS of pillows) the night of my surgery. That was one of my biggest fears pre op. When I doze off reclining on my back watching TV I wake up feeling like I'm choking. That is probably the worst thing I go through.

My sister will be here until the 7th & I'm confidant I will be able to manage on my own after that. I am so thankful for all the support & info I received on this site.
  • I'm so glad to hear from you again. I am sure you will be tired often, as Cath said. I took a nap every afternoon for quite awhile. I found it hard to wash/rinse my hair in the shower becuz I couldn't tilt my head back. I remember that gets better pretty quick. Well, rest as often as you can, and take care!!
  • It is good to hear you are doing well, I sort of missed your post due to my busy Monday....Just remember to rest when you need to, your body lets you know if it needs to. That is the hard part , doing nothing, but you will feel better. The throat will clear up, after my first surgery it was about 4 weeks and that was ok. Again keep up the great work.
  • How did your surgery go on Monday?
  • I'm so happy to hear your surgery went well and your recovery is going well. :) My muscle spasms started to decrease noticeably by 3 weeks!
  • Glad to hear you are doing really well. Same here...I am pleasantly surprised on how I feel at about 2 weeks post-op.Is your sore throat getting any better? The numbness and tingling I had is about 90% better than before my surgery...and seems to be getting better...so I'm encouraged. The down-side is being stuck in the brace...at times I'm glad I have it...at other times...well...you know..LOL!!. Anyhow, today will be kind of a milestone for me...a girlfriend is going to pick me up at take me short lunch/shopping excursion...we'll see you it goes! Best wishes and stay in touch, Olivia