Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

here goes my diet blog day one,youre all invited

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
well this is the first time ive done a blog so bare with me,
'Day one 20/04/09
weighted myself this am and im disgusted to weigh in at 11 stone 12 pounds if i don t do something now ill be 12 stone this time next week,as some of you may know i love bread and have been struggling to cut it out so i decided to cut down instead.iwant to lose atleast a stone so thats my goal to lose 14 pounds which i think is about 6kg,so this is my intake to day so far

breakfast- cereal with semi skimmed milk
lunch-panini with a small bit of cheese
dinner- mackeral salad with a dressing made of lemon juice low fat creme freshe pepper and salt,haven t tried it yet so il let you know how it goes.
i did have 1 small chocolate biscuit i know i should nt have but i might as well be honest

ill prob have a bagel later
what do you think of todays intake,apart from the biscuit?

• Benji,
    I don't have any great advice for you except that I agree that just cutting down is better than totally eliminating if it is something you really enjoy. I am of the opinion that if we starve a craving, we will eventually binge on that food, so by allowing yourself bread in moderation you are likely going to be more successful.

Good luck, and I may start my own thread to use as a daily diary/blog.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi Benji,
    About 2 years ago I weighed in at about 240 pounds, and now am about 210. The weight came off slowly but has not returned. I just cut my intake a little bit each day. I still eat all the foods I love, just not as much of them. I hope to be under 200 by the end of summer. The only problem is that I want to quit smoking and am afraid that will cause me to gain weight.
    Good luck to you. I think you are moving in the right direction.
  • ohio thats brillant,i think thats the best way,
    wel the mackeral was so nice but hey i tried it,just back from a 3 mile walk and think il forgo the bagel,anyone any tips on lowfat snacks in the evening?

neck of steel feel free to add your own blog here,i think that might work for me,heres hoping
  • 8} 3rd time of trying to type

my way of doing it was to be good all day and have a treat at night of milky coffee and 3 or 4 plain biccys, i really looked forward to it, i also made sure i ate a normal sunday roasty as well just a bit smaller ;) ya just dont have to be to hard on yaself .........slowly slowly catchy monkey! ;)
  • it looks like a good, healthy meal plan! =D> and don't beat yourself up over the chocolate biscuit.. better to have one than think about it!! :? have you considered having smalller meals throughout the day? does that work with having a family and mealtimes? i am aiming for 2 pounds this week. <:P laying off the bread myself. can't have any butter anyway so what is the point? LOL! happy eating! =)) Jenny :)
  • oh i dont know hun i cant eat hot crusty bread right out the oven without butter!! ............bugger now theres an idea! ...jan slinks off to sick head under pillow to stop thinking like that !! :))(
  • It sounds good to me. I would include low fat yogourt and some fruit. I`m doing excercise again so I`m not going to weigh in yet this week. Have a good one everybody. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Mrs. Jan, well, when you put it that way how could i resist!! :? i think we all like our bread alittle too much! now pull your head out of the covers and face the day =)) and if you can't do that, make sure you nab a piece of bread to take under there with you!! :D Jenny :)
  • i know its only day 2 but i feel that this going to help me,so here goes with my intake today
    BREAKFAST-cereal with semi skimmed milk
    LUNCH- 2 slices of toast with marmalade,handful of rasberries,
    AFTERNOON SNACK-small packet of low fat crisps,only 82 cal and 0.4gms sat fat
    DINNER-thin strips of beef and peppers in chilli sauce on a bed of lettace,yum yum,and a banana,
    evening snack- bagel or cereal
    so i don t think thats too bad,i ve also went out for a 45 min walk,though im beet now lol,thanks for all the input is great

• sounds good hun ya doing well ;)

jenny , i can not deal with crumbs in the bed so i got up! :))(
  • great meal plan benji.. =D> i really like the fresh rashberies. <:P are you having to heavy of an evening snack? :? i think a toasted bagel has less calories than a regular one.. what about just fruit in the evening? :D i know how much you want that bagel, but fruit has no calories.anyway, you went on a good walk and i bet you are tired!! I) see you tomorrow! Jenny :)
  • Benji, this will sound really weird, but I don't think you're eating enough.

Women shouldn't take in less than 1200 calories per day because you deprive your body of needed vitamins and minerals. Also, when you don't take in enough calories, your body will go into "starvation mode" and shut your metabolism down, which causes you to stop losing weight.

This article might be useful:

Strange as it sounds, going too low on calories can hurt your ability to lose weight. Here's why.

Your body is designed to protect itself from starvation during times of greatly-reduced food availability. So when you eat too little, your body thinks it's starving. To compensate, your metabolism will slow down considerably, making it very difficult (or impossible) for you to lose weight. In this state, your body will preferentially burn everything but your stored body fat.

Eating too little poses other problems as well, such as nutritional deficiencies. On top of that, if you later increase your calories after a long bout of eating too few, your body will be more likely to store these calories as fat, in preparation for another future "famine."

• BionicWoman, being inactive i have found i have had to reduce my caloric intake from 800 to 1,000 per day because of the lack of activity.. :? i think benji's menus look good. :-C she is eating 3 good meals a day plus snacks. she did exeercise for 45 minutes and if she keeps up with that kind of activity may very well need to increase her caloric intake.. =D> we are also fighting battles with weight gain from meds and so i am not sure the "regular" rules can apply under these cirsunstances.i love Sparkpeople and get loads of info off the site. <:P is this one of your weight loss tools? :D you pointed out some very good info!! thanks! :D Jenny :)
  • Well I've had a set back and still haven't started day 1 :( I plan on starting today. I have AT LEAST 20 lbs to lose. I need to lose 15 lbs to fit into my pre surgery clothes UGH.

Good luck benji55 and everyone else :)
  • thanks for all the imput guys, jenny i think my problem is still the bread,i need to try something else for my evening snack,do you think a low fat cereal with semi skimmed milk would be ok
    thanks bionicwoman i might need to add more fruit the odd time ive felt abit shaky as if my blood sugar is low,think the trick might be little and often,thats the danger poing for me when i need a sugar rush,il fill in my intake later on tonight
    thanks again for all the support
  • well here goes
    MIDMORNING SNACK-SMALL SCONE AND A CUP OF TEA(was out in a coffee shop)

• good morning! :H i always think cereal is a great bedtime snack.. =D> i don't think the scone was too bad benji! you really are not eating alot!! :O :O i see you got some bread in and i know that is alot of satisfaction for you.. =D> have a good evening benji!! I) Jenny :)
  • pepper, :H don't beat yourself up over not starting on Monday. things do come up!! :D good luck today!!! we have about the same amount to lose! :D watch your food plan! Jenny :)
  • im abit late,i was working along day so got home and ate then went to bed.here s my intake for yesterday
    BREAKFAST-cereal semi skimmed milk
    MID MORNING- weightwatchers biscuit and cup of tea
    LUNCH-baked potato,prawns and salad
    AFTERNOON SNACK-pineapple and banana
    LATE DINNER-CEREAL AND TOAST i know thats not good but it was gone 8pm when i got home from work and i just could nt be bothered cooking,it took all my willpower not to order takeout
    I really think that reducing my lyrica has helped me control my eating,before i was always hungry but now im not snacking as much now
    Im off to see a trainer tonight so il let you all know how it goes
    thanks for all your support it really is helping
  • I-hope-all-went-well-with-the-personal-trainer._sorry-about-hyphens-I-have-to-figure-out-the-new-cordless-mouse-and-boards.-All-sounds-good-but-yogurt-is-healthy-for-you-and-low-fat-only-100-cals.-Good-luck.-Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • benji, good luck with your trainer. =D> i hope that works out. even with some your dinner i think your menu still looks healthy and within calorie guidelines.. :D good luck my friend! :D Jenny :)
  • with the trainer,she seems really good,i can only afford it for a short time but i think it will be enough to give a kick in the butt and get me started,i start on monday and im going to go twice a week,bad news is my body fat is high but i knew that so im going to give this 100% and so from today ive decided to give up my bread,i need to eat more protien so apart from chicken and tuna,what else is high in protein and low in fat?
    this is my intake for yesterday
    BREAKFAST- cereal semi skimmed milk
    LUNCH- 2 slices of toastAFTERNOON SNACK-pineapple and a banana
    DINNER- ready meal mashed pototoes,ham and veg,390 cals 2.9 sat fat
    evening snack- 2 slices of toast(hopefully my last
    please continue to give me advise and support,its great
  • so thought id jot down my intake for today
    BREAKFAST-cereal semi skimmed milk,smoothie
    MIDMORNING-3 walnuts and a banana
    LUNCH-chicken and kidney bean salad
    afternoon-low fat baked crisps,82 cals.0.8 sat fat
    DINNER- shredded duck and veg
    evening-a glass of wine and 3 small pieces of sushi,i allowed myself this as i was out at my sister s house,there was lots of tempting food but i managed to resist,
    i took the dog out for an hours walk,don t know who it wrecked more,me or the dog lol
  • Sirius loves to go for a walk and i sometime wonder who is walking whom. :? she is 70# and a handful. =)) you are doing so good with your food plan! :D i hope to have taken off a pound or two this week! sleep well! I) Jenny :)
  • bread so bad,i wish i could just get rid off it ,but have to buy it for the kids and hubby,pure torture lol,jenny i ve no doubt you l have a pound or 2 off
    Do you think the craving will always be there for bread,i miss it more than chocolate
  • Benji - so how was your first week? Have you lost any weight yet? I read where you had a glass of wine :) I really miss wine and haven't drank for a few months because of the medicine I'm on.

Well I am horrible at dieting and I live everyday saying that my diet starts tomorrow.....but really, my diet is starting tomorrow HA HA. I ordered 5 weeks worth of Nutrisystem meals and I'm going on that plan. My husband lost 40 pounds on Nutrisystem...it was amazing just watching him lose weight so fast! He is still on it and has some meals for me to eat before my boxes of food arrive. There are even frozen meals that I ordered, so I'm excited about being on a plan where I don't have to plan my meals. I'll just eat what is in the Nutrisystem plan plus fruits and vegetables that I will have to buy.

But anyway, good luck on week 2 of your diet. I have around 30 pounds to lose...I don't remember if you said what your weight goal was.

• This is probably more than you actually asked me, but... :))(

I use SparkPeople for the tracking tools and I read the articles/emails, but I don't use the SparkDiet directly.

My "diet" is the good ol' food pyramid! ;) About 30% of my calories come from protein: lean meats, eggs, and dairy. About 20% of my calories come from "good" fats, no saturated or trans fat allowed. The remaining 50% of my calories come from complex carbohydrates: fresh/frozen vegetables, dark green leafy greens, fresh/frozen fruits, and whole grain pastas, rices, and breads. No canned fruits/veggies, no packaged meats, and very little processed food.

To figure out my daily calorie requirement, I used the Harris-Benedict Equation. After all, weight loss is really just about math. If you burn more calories than you take in, you lose; if you take in more than you burn, you gain; equal stays the same.

First, I figured my basal metabolic rate, which is 1873 calories right now. Then I added my activity calories, which is about 700 per day on average. That's included in the Harris-Benedict Equation - BMR x 1.375 for people that exercise lightly 1-3 times per week.

According to the math, I'd have to eat a total of 2575 calories per day to maintain my current weight. Since I want to lose 2 pounds per week, I have to create a calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day, so 2575 - 1000 = 1575 calories per day. Then I gave myself an arbitrary range of +/-10%, just because I felt like it image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> so my daily calorie range ended up being 1420-1732. So far, my math calculations have matched my actual weight loss +/-1/2 a pound per month.

I think people forget about their basal metabolic rate a lot. I use the math formula, but there are calculators online. BMR is a part of why the bare minimum calorie intake recommended by doctors/dietitians is 1200 calories per day for women and 1500 per day for men. Plus, it's nearly impossible, to include all the required nutrients with fewer than 1200 calories, even for a trained professional.

For those of us with spinal issues and/or chronic pain, it's especially hard to fit adequate fiber, calcium, Vitamin D, magnesium, and potassium into so few calories. And we need the fiber, since we're already constipated from the drugs! ~X( Not to discount the calcium, Vit. D, magnesium and potassium that have a direct impact our muscle, bone, and nerve functions.

I eat 3 very full meals per day and have 3-4 light snacks, so most days I feel like a horse, kinda grazing my way through the day. Occasionally, I feel so overstuffed I just want to :sick: !

When I was younger, I did a lot of yo-yo dieting - drinking Slim Fast shakes for 3 meals a day and the like. I would drop weight like crazy, while I was doing it, but it would just find a few friends and bounce back on soon as I went back to "normal" food.

Back then, if anyone tried to tell me that eating would cause me to lose weight, I would have told them they were nucking futs! When I started, my calorie requirement was over 2000 calories a day to LOSE weight and so far, I've dropped 49 pounds by grazing my way through the day.

Go figure! image

• this could be the time the weight loss happens,i do hope so,well i ve lost 2 pounds and im happy with that for this week,i ve been walking and have gave up bread which has been so hard for me,but no pain no gain,im off to see the trainer tonight
    heres my intake for yesterday
    BREAKFAST- cereal semi skimmed milk
    dinner-chicken,carrots,dry roasted potatoes
    evening- cereal
  • benji, congratulations on your 2 pound loss!! =D> i took off 2 pounds as well, putting me at 140#. :D i am craving bread like crazy too!! hope you enjoyed your evening with your trainer!! <:P what fun! =)) Jenny :)
This discussion has been closed.