Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

finding a comfortable position

LovinggardenerLLovinggardener Posts: 494
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I have been in recovery from microdiscectomies for about 7 weeks (including my 1st surgery), and overall I have been doing quite well.

For the past few weeks, I started noticing tightness in my neck and shoulder blade. Later, I feel intermittent my tingling sensation down my left arm.

I think the discomfort is from all the lying down that I am doing. As you know sitting should be limited, so I lie down on my moft most of time. (walking 2-3 times a day).

How do you get comfortable in a lying position to read or be on computer without out straining your neck?

• I have a 12 inch wedge pillow I bought before surgery. Using the wedge pillow on my couch is the most comfortable spot in the house. I still sleep on it from time to time at night and rest on it during the day. I'm lucky enough to have a laptop, so I pretty much get comfortable while online.
  • a lot of attention to relaxing my shoulders, pulling them down away from my ears. Its normal to tense up in places which surround your surgical sight in order to compensate. Are you still dealing with nerve pain, Teach? After 7 weeks you should be returning to normal activities, I THINK. I'm still dealing with some residual nerve pain, but nothing like pre-surgery...I'm concerned that you aren't moving around enough. How far/much are you walking each day? I know how scared you are that it may rupture again. Have you started any P.T.? Keep us posted...hugsxoxoxo
  • I need to check into that...I also have a laptop.

I have a wedge cushion.
  • You are right about not tensing my shoulders...I have a bad habit of doing that. Thank you for your concern! I have not been released to resume my normal activities, so I just walk three times a day and then, lie down. I try to avoid sitting much as possible. And try not to do anything to re-herniate my disc until I see him again (next week) or ever. ;)

The nerve pain has dissipated in the last two days. I got a little worried when my calf felt tighter then usual, but it is gone.

This recovery process is a roller coster. I am glad to hear that your nerve pan is not as bad as pre-surgery. Nerve pain sucks!!!

Stay strong!