Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain 1yr 3 mo post op ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello! I had an ACDF of C4-6 last year due to nerve damage and pain. I was feeling great and real happy I choose surgery.
I recently started working again, 1st time in over a year. I only work 3.5 hours a day as a clerk in a store where I get to sit and relax during customers. Over the last month I have started to get pain in the back of my neck. It is now extremely sore and burning! I have been icing for days. I have lost my health insurance and can't go see the doctor for PT. I never completed my PT after surgery due to lack of money and am I regretting that choice!
I realized that the looking down at the register all day is killing me! What can I do? Any PT ideas I can do at home? Thanks!
PS I still have a herniated disk in C3 and L5-S1.

• Money is a little tight here as well, and I needed to do some therapy. I went to the therapist one time and asked for a home therapy program. Another thing you may think about is using your community pool, if you have one. We have a community pool and although you have to pay a couple dollars everytime to get in I can get some work out's done in the pool. Also at the community center they have a gym that has a yearly membership fee that is really affordable, if you don't have any equipment yourself. Also if you look on line you can find all types of things in your home into PT. One of the best things that my surgeon wanted out of me was walking, and gives all his patients a walking program to start the day after surgery. You can look on some walking web sites and get some programs. One that comes to me is 10,000 steps. If swinging your arms when you walk bothers you, try wearing a hoodie with the pockets in front so you can walk with your arms inside of there.

Most important thing I learned is the stretches for the spasms. Another thing you may find that is helpful is using a tennis ball or some type of ball and placing between you and the wall on the trigger points and leaning into it. You may go back to your old therapy place explain you condition and see if they will give you some therapy bands as well. Those can be tied on the back of door knobs and you can do some basic excercise with them. The wall walk with your hands is also a good one. Some surgeons websites even have some therapy ideas on them as well and of course they are on here as well. If you use the search feature at the top of the page you will get some ideas. Good luck and hope this helps.
  • Thanks! I started having acupuncture done and what a difference!! WOW! I have been feeling so much better! I'm recommending it to everyone who has muscle pain.