Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Waiting on surgery.....

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone :H . I am still around!!!! I thank god that I also now have a laptop instead of just the desktop because I wouldnt be able to write to you guys now. I am in SEVERE pain, I have been taking my pain meds, and I guess you can say that they are barely touching my pain. They do make me feel very drunk feeling though :? .
I am getting to the point that it hurts to stand, and walk at all. It hurts so much. I feel like my legs will give out any day. I am on the couch because I can't do anything because I hurt so much. I have a appt. next week with my pain management doctor. I need some different type of meds. We are also waiting on approval for plif. I was so against surgery for so long :( .
I didn't want surgery for a long time because I felt that I wouldnt need it. Well, I am more than ready now to get some help. The neuro said that he wants to do the plif but comp needs to approve it. My lawyer is on top of it, and I told them that I can barely walk at all. I am so afraid that I won't be able to walk AT ALL. Has anyone of you gotten this bad before surgery? My back, and legs hurt just the same. I just want to scream ~X( ~X( ~X( .
Sorry so long, just need to vent. I love it here, and I am glad there is a lot of support here.

• Hi Heidi-how I can understand-the legs issues are so scary-mine decide not to work at all, no matter how much I scream in my head, MOVE. Usually my low computer chair helps me inside the house, but the the groans of pain that accompany each funny step sound so pathetic. I'm waiting for lawyer to work out with w/c who is to pay for surgery-big arguements. Had 2 surgery dates then denied due to legal issues.My usual "Bernie-buttock-pain" and "Steve-spike-in-the-spine" pain are my constant friends/enemies!! Usually load myself with meds then flop in my recliner. Got a TENS machine yesterday, bit scared of it, but it definately distracts the brain and the pain. I am terrified of surgery, but I'm terrified without it.Just want to get on with it now. Like you am also looking to maybe get a new mix of pills to help with the pain. When the "lazy-legs" are an issue I try to calm my panic, then bend lower and try to find solid object to lever myself to where I need to go.Heidi I really hope you get your surgery soon and all goes really well. You are allowed to be afraid and scared, just wish my turbo-charged magic wand could make you feel better in a flash! All I have is my softest hugs and kindest thoughts for you.
    Hugs n' Loves-Paula
  • Nice to see your post. I was wondering what was going on with you and your husband, too.

I'm sorry you are in such pain. I didn't have issues with insurance. I just kept waiting to have surgery because I kept hoping there would be a wonderful new technology to replace the very old surgical procedure of fusion. But I eventually got to the point where I had to do something.

I was/am lucky in that I get pain relief when I sit down or lie down. But I got to the point where I was driving down the driveway to get the mail, and I learned to do things in the kitchen sitting down. I could only stand about a minute.

I hope you get your surgery soon and that it is successful right away.

How's your husband doing? Any change in his willingness to have more surgery??

Hang in there. You are in my thoughts.

xx Gwennie
  • My husband had to wait for a couple of surgeries also, due to legal issues. It is so annoying to know that your life is hanging on their inadequate timeclock.
    I too am awaiting TLIF surgery on June 9th. L4/L5 because of a grade 5 tear and DDD. I've had numerous injections, therapy and chiro for the past 4+ years which isn't helping anymore. So, I'm thankful that I've decided to move forward, since there is constant pain even though I feel loaded all the time (and not a "fun" stupor). I'm still working but use a back brace, vicodin, muscle relaxers and codiene. I pray that you will be able to get your surgery approved. You are young and have so much fun time on the horizon with your children. :-)
  • I am glad that I am remembered!!!! As for my husband, he has recently started a new medication that seems to be working so much better for him. He is out and about more than I now. I feel like a load of bricks sometimes. I have so many problems it seems :S . I know that there are a lot of people FAR off worse than I. I am thankful that I am still able to walk even though it hurts like heck.
    I am young, that is the thing! I am young, and want to do everything. I feel like I am moaning and groaning here, I don't want to do that. I have endometriosis on top of this also, and lots of womenly problems that just add to it. I am all done having babies, and they want me to take birth control pills!!!!! UGH ~X( .
    The nice thing is that my husband is feeling better, I am the one in the house(he is outside) he is making me more flower beds!!!! :* . I love my flowers! I just think that I will have to put new flowers in these slowly because of the pain. I feel like it is all about the pain and the back lately. Here I go again, sorry to feel so not on top of the world guys. I do appreciate having all of you to talk to. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Please, please be really careful with the gardening. I doubt very much that either you or your husband should be out there doing anything in the yard!!

Hopefully, you will have your surgery soon. It will go well and be a big success because you will be SO careful during the recovery period.

Do you have family near you that can help with the kids, etc.? I really can't imagine being so laid up and having three little kids, a house to run, etc.

I'm glad to hear your husband is doing better. Now it is your turn!!

Hang in there -

xx Gwennie
  • I went through a lot of pain waiting for surgery. Although it is hard, hang in there. I hope everything goes well. I will say a prayer for you.
  • I do have my husbands family here that can help out with the kids if we need them. It seems like Brian is doing a lot better so he is doing a little more. As for gardening, how i miss bending, and digging in the dirt!!!!
    I now have two more new flower beds that I am not even sure will have flowers in it unless the kids put them in for me :S . I already have a wrap around garden with all of my perrenials in it, it is beautiful :) .
    It is hard to have this big house, 3 dogs, 3 kids, laundry, cleaning, you name it but it all gets done one way or another. I try to get the most done when I feel good. Well I guess everyone does that too 8} .