Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

permanent spinal stimulator placement

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Management
when have battery pack placed protrudes against skin and very painful about 1/4 to1/2 " dr cut superficial opening in upper buttock put in stapled shut over4 months ago does anyone else have this problem dr says successful surgery
machine works

• can they move batter pack to another area? how much pain did you have before stimulator was inserted?

• If your doctor refuses to acknowledge your pain or move the ipg I would suggest a second opinion.

How long has it been since the surgery placed it? Mine has been in since May 4th and it was about 2 weeks till it started to feel better. Between 2-3 weeks I have had decent days, being on my feet for even 15 minutes starts the pocket burning and pain follows. So, I am just waiting it out.

Mine protrudes somewhat to. Most everyone here says that given a few months the pain will diminish and it will not be a problem. With all my past surgeries I believe this to be true. It always seems to take longer than I want it to.
  • My placement is in my side above the waist and up until last Thursday it was very obvious - even through my shirt. While at OT I was doing my last set of stretches when I had a sharp pain where my battery is located and I nearly went to my knees. When I felt the area the battery felt as if it has moved or shifted. Immediately afterward I had diminished coverage. Friday evening I had to turn my stimulator off completely as it was hurting the area around the battery. I have an appt. to see the surgeon Tuesday morning. I doubt seriously that he will have any answers for me though. For now all I can do is wait and hope.
  • Hi there...

I still have pain with my IPG unit and I'm a little over 4 months post-op. But..my unit is in my abdomen and I think that has made a big difference as I'm not sitting on it or anything.

How much pain are you having? Is it unbearable? The pain I have is more of a tenderness but it isn't bad by any means and it shouldn't be.

I hope you get some answers from the surgeon. What about your device representative? He or she should be helping you too....

Good luck,
  • I was also thinking today that with rechargeables they do not want them deep. The more tissue inbetween the ipg and the skin means more possibility of poor charging.

I was actually quite surprised as I recharged my Medtronics Advanced today. 3 weeks 2 days after surgey. It still had half a charge and I was not in the least bit bothered by the belt and charging :D

• hey there..glad to hear that the re-charging didn't bother you. sometimes the little paddle gets hot on me. how long did it take you to charge?

my rep. told me it's best to charge every night (what she calls "topping off") but do I do that? heck no...I wait until it's almost all out. it drives my husband crazy. but it is important to not let it get too low...as one can run the risk of it going into over-discharge. so I try my best not to let it get under 1/4 charge.....
  • My shoulder pain is being "good"...So I have not needed to use the SCS like I expect to once I am back doing things again. It was still showing almost half a charge when I charged it :) It took about 2 hours to charge fully. I got the full 8 bars on the level when charging so it went real well. I have the Advanced which is larger and has an advertised up to 4 weeks battery life. It is kind of a large lump though!

Had my second followup today, we tried to change the pulsing, but did not suceed, so I had him leave it alone for now. No need to worry about it till things settle down more.

• Is there anyone out there, been approve for disability who have L4,L5 and S1 nerve root damage?