Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MicroD scheduled May 29, but feel better, need advice...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi all supportive friends , I had some posts regarding my huge L5-S1 disc herniation (1cm on the left). My injury started 7 months ago and had awful left sciatic pain for the first 2 months (took lot of Ibupro), but then the pain subsided( stopped Ibupro). At the third month, I started doing PT for 2 months , but PT just made thing worse. I remembered days when he told me to do some twisting exercises and spinal decompression, horrible sciatic pain came back (9 out 10, bad enough to take Ibupro). I stopped PT,then went to see my pain management doctor. He said at this point i have 2 options 1.the shot 2. surgery.

I then sought second opinion with another surgeon (same clinic), he also said I need the surgery because of the size of my herniated disc, and he said the longer i wait the more damage i will have (he is a fellowship trained - spine surgeon specializing in cervical spine (neck) surgery, microscopic and minimally invasive spine surgery, scoliosis and complex spinal reconstructive surgery)

I know he is very good spine surgeon in Dallas area.My leg pain feels much better. i m 95 % better, and the good thing is the tingling sensation seems to disappear for the last 3 days ( I didnt feel any tingling today even i had to stand full 9 hours at my work).My mobility is not 100% ;I still cant fully straight my leg when sit down with my torso 90 degree and still have LBP , it is sharping pain and deep inside. I notice if i do something that aggravates the back the pain would come back

My question is "Should i wait or have the operation?"
I know there are some people in forum who waited long time before having opt done.
I dont wanna end up having permanent nerve damage..

( I have not had any shot because i cant afford that.the shot may or may not work,but i know my leg pain right now is not bad enough to get the shot - i dont even need any pain killers)

Sorry for the long post , and greatly thanks for any comment


  • You probably already know that if the doc says you may risk permanent nerve damage without the surgery, you should have the surgery. Take a look around and read some of the posts from folks that waited too long and now have perm. nerve damage to deal with for the rest of their life.
    The doctor usually knows best but if in doubt, get another opinion. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Glad that you are feeling much better. Do take your recovery serious and not do anything that would risk reherniating the disc.

    Take care of yourself

  • Hey Teoguyen,

    I'm so glad it went well for you!! I really like hearing the good stories. I am most likely going to have to go the surgery route too.

    From what I understand, you need to be really careful for the next three months. A friend of mine who had microD's done twice told me the last time he had surgery, the guy in the bed next to him was there for a redo after the 1st month because he went watersking 3 weeks after the 1st surgery. Dumb, really dumb.

    Take good care of yourself and I hope you never have a problem again!

  • i m glad because i found this forum couple months before the surgery. During that time , i asked and accumulated lot of questions and experiences from people who have had surgery.I need to take everything easy for recovery. Omg watersking 3 weeks after surgery, he must not have known 3 weeks are nothing for recovering from back surgery..
    Anyway greatly thanks for advice..You have a good time as well
  • It's always good to hear someone's doing better after back surgery. I hope you continue to improve, and remember it may take some time. Don't rush into things and follow your doctor's recommendation. If you ever experience increasing pain and the meds don't help, always notify the surgeon at once.

    I had this surgery 2 years ago but unfortunately reherniated a month later and developed other complications such as slippage. I'm sure you'll do fine with your recovery as long as your careful-no bending, lifting, and twisting during the early stages unless your doctor tells you to increase activity. Take care
  • HI Friends . I eventually had my operation (MicroD) done yesterday after waiting for 7 months. I'm 2 days post-op and feel completely all right. Before pulling the trigger of surgery, i was really hesitant because i didn't have much pain.However, the fragmented disc was huge, doctor recommended the surgery to prevent any further problems in future. It was easy operation ,it was done at outpatient started 6:45 and went home around 8:45 am. I don't have any pain in the leg anymore. The only pain i have is at my incision which i assume it will get better on time. My job now is to take recovery seriously cause I definitely don't want to re-herniate this thing..

    Thanks friends for reading , Hope all the best for you.
  • Thank you for sharing this. I am at this crossroads right now. 1.4 cm disc fragment. UGH! Trying to decide what to do. Doc is going to try one injection before we move forward.
Sign In or Register to comment.