Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy l4/l5 6 daus ago

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All...

I had emergency decomcompression last Thursday (14/02) at l4/l5 due to a ver high risk of bladder and or bowl dysfunction, which is nice...! Have been plauged wuith back issues for the last 2 years anyway, so was kind of glad they did something. Anyway, long story short, post op walked to toilet, felt odd but ok, Friday, walked round ward, up some stairs, came home, saturday very stiff, eased during the day, found laying down makes things worse! So only option was to keep moving which is recommended anyway, but each day since it's been getting worse pain wise in the lower back, very sore in the morning doesn't ease for ages and at the moment it's pretty cruddy!

So I guess my question is, is this to be expected? They did have to dig around a heck of a lot and pulled the nerves in all sorts of directions, but i would have thought each day would improve??

Anyway, any help given will be very much appreciated believe me!

• Hiya Welcome To spine health, and gentle gentle hugs for you >:D< >:D< Will, what they do is to get to the l4/l5 discs :? , they have to gently clamp everything out of the way :O , this includes your spinal cords :S . So when everything is put back it can take a long time to heal [( , as your body goes into trauma when you have this type of surgery O:) . So it is very painful afterwards :''( . but hey if you have any concerns :? , it wont hurt to get it checked out :) . I hope this helps you >:D< . Keep us posted and checkout the chat room here :D .

Angie x :H

I have based this information on my own personal experience :)
  • Many tahnks for the reply. The consultant doesn't seem overly concerned and that it's 'normal' for pain to get worse before it gets better, but it seems my back just doesn't like laying down, in any form! Got one of those memory foam mattresses, just been up to try, lay down for all of 15 minutes and experienced reduced problems to that I do in the mornings!

This makes me worry something is very wrong, why can't I just lay down go to sleep and get up with pain and stiffness yes, but this is just excruciating. Could it be that when the weight is taken off the disc (what's left of it) expands slightly, so when I get up and out weight through it, that segment is very unstable and causes the pain until the disc sqaushes back down again a tad and then becomes 'stable'?

This would certainly explain it in my head but this would bad I guess if it were true and surely the consultant would pick up on that?
  • Me again! Hello! Has anybody had the problem after a microdisectomy that no matter what position they lay in bed it's not comfortable and you get up in the morning in same pain and discomfort? I expect some obviously but these seems some what odd, even if I lay donw for just 15 mins, it's the same although not so extreme.

So I find myself going between sitting for short periods, walking and standing, which may be good, may not, this morning it basicaly felt like a wee man had spent all night inside me kicking and punching the hell out of my back and stomach.

Anybody else experienced this or similar? or am I just some freak? :-)
  • No, I think you are just a freak. Just kidding, I found that after my L5S1 microdiscectamy it was most comfortable lying on my back with my legs propped up. Walking around is good in moderation at first, and sitting for more than 10-15 minutes at a time is not good. It also helps to have some good pain meds in the first couple of weeks. They prescribed hydrocodone for me (vicodin) and they work pretty darn good, but I'm sure you know you need to be careful as they can be habit forming. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the reply. I had the worst day Tuesday this week, felt like somebody was crushing my spine every step I took! Doc wouldn't give me anything stronger than the tramadol/cocodomol I have already, which was nice of him....one thing I think I may have done too much of is standing, but oddly enough 3 days post op I found standing for a short period 5 mins or so then moving etc was OK, maybe I've buggered it again and don't realise yet? hence the issues laying down etc? maybe just being paranoid mind! Consutant didn't seem over concerned by the symptoms I was telling him about
  • Now just over 2 weeks post op (as you will see from above) pain geting better, still not able to just chill during the day on bed etc (consultant knows all this and isn't bothered, so guess I have to trust him) However, just gone up to get in bed to do some of my physio and my log roll on, for the first time in 2 years (as this is how i've had to get out of bed) decided to go a bit wrong...my right leg, whch was the one on the mattress slipped off the bed when i was half way over, the resulted in most of my top half nearly flat with my lower parts twisted! Got a bit of a sharp pain, which didn't ease once I laid flat so just basically got straight up, hot water bottle on it and started walking...still feel it's quite tense now and frankly I'm now bricking it that I've done some pretty serious damage....but then if i had would i not be in agony right now? Or i'll bet it will come on later and come tomorrow morning I'll know all about it!

Anybody else had any 'mishaps' along the way?

• Just read through your experience...I'm 6 weeks post L4/L5 microdiscectomy and I still have a hard time getting comfortable to sleep. -Granted I'm a million times better than I was pre-surgery and a whole lot better than I was the weeks just after surgery. I think the whole process just takes a long time to fully recover from. Other than walking on flat surfaces often I take it very easy during the day & try not to sit for very long. I'll have my 6 week follow up later in the week & should be cleared to start swimming and other stuff. -I'm very interested to see how my body will react to the increased activity.
  • My consultant would not allow me to sit up for no more than 20 minutes a day ~X( , this was for the first 3 months :W , for what reason i do not know :S , as i never asked :| it was very difficult because this time had to be used to only wash, dress, toilet ~X( (by the time i got upstairs to the loo and come back down i wanted to go again, i refused to use a bedae ~X( )eat but nothing else :( , he did not even have me doing physio :S , i still say this is why i suffer the problem i have now :S Wishing you well >:D< , and take it easy :D

Angie >:D<
  • Nearly 5 weeks in, been at some flat lever now for ages, no real improvement, still can't put my socks or shoes on :-(

Got clattered from behind by my 3 year old yesterday that was pretty painful and do I know it today! Been getting pains at the front too, more so on the right side just around the hip joint and the muscle to that side in the stomach, anybody else had this? Sometime the pian at the front goes all across the top of the hips if you follow me? Got another MRI on Thursday with follow up the next week, convinced it will show it's knackered but I'm so peeeeeed off by having to bloody stand and walk around all day as can't just relax still, I'mkind of bored with it now and thnking what the hell!