Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain ....... where do I start??

doofddoof Posts: 131
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Lower Back Pain
I've had laminectomies for lumbar stenosis which were successful in getting rid of that awful tight/crampness in down the back of my right leg, along with the loss of feeling in my foot. That was mainly when standing still or walking slowly.

2 years on and the old feelings have returned in my other leg, along with some new stuff.

I'm getting hip/pelvis/abdmoninal pain and spasms, along with the most excruciating pains in my ankle, it feels like it is in a vice. The leg/ankle pain is worse when I am sitting or driving and when I get up from the chair, or out of the car, the first 4 or 5 steps are sooooo hurty. I feel as though I can't straighten my leg and hobble along like I'm an old woman (I'm only 44 3/4). It soon walks off but I dread having to stand up. The leg pain is the 'usual' sciatic pull all the way down the back of my leg - no-one understands!!!! Well, you guys do, that's why I'm here (again)!

I've had an mri done and the hospital have called me in early to get the results next week. I'm pleased I don't have the usual UK 6 month wait but it means that he's seen something that can't wait (sad face).

Has anyone else had this ankle pain and if so what was the diagnosis (too impatient to wait until next Tuesday)!!

• Sorry to hear you're having more pain and different pain. I have ankle pain with my L5-S1 herniated disc and tear. I don't know if you have that just giving you my experience. Good luck with your appt. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hello me friend!!!,
    so sorry to see you back here once again!!!....but sure you know what ive always said!!!!
    well anyhow,id have a guess and say the ankle pain is due to S1 it goes right down the ankle....believe me i feel you pain ive been there.
    have a read into PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME from what i know the sciatic nerve compression is caused by piriformis muscle spasam in the buttocks.
    hope this helps a little and i will chat to you real soon.

LOVE P
  • I am so sorry to hear you have bounced back again. I hope the MRI has something helpful to report, something that is easily fixed. I hope.

I understand the sciatic nerve stretch, pull, deep ache, horrible pain. Lots of us do here.

What I have learnt in my personal quest is that symptoms in leg can originate from back and vise verse. There is a lot of overlap and you need a few good practitioners around to check whats happening. I saw a good osteopath who did some stuff and recreated pains in groins and feet (weird) but it proved his theories about the pain sources. Made me feel confident anyhow.

Keep us posted yes?
    Take Care.

Good Luck.
  • Judging by your post surgeries and symptoms, it sure sounds like another problem with the L5-S1 disk, stenosis at that level or something compressing the S1 nerve root. Disks have a way of reherniating. I'm glad you won't have to wait too long to learn what has happened. The symptoms sound pretty typical for the L5 and S1 dermatomes.

I was curious about your comment about the "usual UK 6 month wait." Do you mean that it is customary to wait months to get the results after you have a MRI? You can't find out right away the results of the test?
  • Thanks for your replies, I kind of had a feeling that it could be from S1 (I have the dermotone map imprinted on my brain)! I just wanted to check that others had experienced this aswell and that it wasn't just a sore ankle - wishful thinking.

Gwennie, in answer to your question, yes it is normal for us Brits to have to wait months for our results. I have previously been referred for mri scans which have taken 2-3 months on the NHS, you then have to wait a further 2-3 months for the results. Although having said that it does vary from area to area. The hospital I am under at the moment managed to get my scan done within 6 days (unheard of on the NHS), however, the irony is that I would have had to wait until July for the results!! You can get things done much quicker if you are prepared to pay alot of money and have it done privately - usually using the same equipment, staff etc. Money talks over here.

Well, I'll keep you all posted and hope you are all relatively pain free and yes Mrs P .............. right again - blah blah blah!!!

• looks like i literally just missed you this fine morning.
    and i suppose you sitting in work?????....is there a possibility you will actually take a few days off and rest?????
    DOUBT THAT!!!!!

LOVE P
  • Yes mum, I'm sat at work ....... well someone has to save these &*^*%*& children!

Panic not, I will be taking some time off soon but I've just to know what it is I'm taking time off for - does that make sense? Roll on Tuesday.

love Doofie

• I'm happy to see you pop in and say hello, but not for these reasons. It just never ends! I wish I had some helpful information to share and make it all go away, but since I don't, please just know that I am thinking of you. Maybe we can catch up in chat sometime????? I have missed you!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • remember me was Murphy? sorry to hear about your pain but i am not surprised i have had the same type of thing myself after laminectomy L4/L5 and bilateral discectomy at S1 and redo of L4/L5 now i have the same type of pain as you and i also have hideous back ache ,all i can tell you is to manage it with strong pain killers my latest MRI revealed lots of facet joint hypertrophy and they offered me a multi level fusion but after what i have heard they can stuff it!! take care doof i know what you are going through i am up every night in agony i know that i am banging on about the acticare but its worth a go .see www.acticare.com
This discussion has been closed.