Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Awarded SSD after 3 years!

Faith MFFaith M Posts: 287
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I was awarded SSD today! The first thing I did was cry my eyes out. It took awhile for the happiness to come. I am relieved and sad all at the same time. Have any of you been through this? I knew I was disabled but to have SSD agree somehow cements it further. I've known for some time now that I will never be well, I've stopped hoping for a way out. I've realized it's easier to work with my limitations rather than fight them. I have hope that I can somehow still lead a good life in this disabled body. I want to thank everyone who has helped me through this process. I wish all of you the best in your difficult back journies. I wish you the best luck with SSD. Be honest, be yourself.
Faith M

• Faith,
    This will make things much easier on you. It is a large burdon that has been lifted. Congrats

• Faith, that is such good news. You sounded like
    you were about at the breaking point. I'm really
    relieved for you as I have followed your posts.
    When you think of the anxiety not to mention the
    financial worries that could be avoided if the
    process was somehow easier - but at least you have
    it now. I'm really glad for you, Susie
  • I am so happy for you. I applied 1 1/2 years ago and should have a hearing in August. It really is a shame that we must endure so much before finally receiving benefits. I am very happy that your wait is finally over.
  • Congrats Faith, I just went thru the same thing. I had also been waiting three years and was finally approved last month. I'm still waiting on my benefit letter, but it's just a relief to know it's finally over.
  • I went through the same thing you did as far as being sad and happy about it at the same time..... My only took 8 months and I was very relieved yet upset because it didn't take very long for them to decide I was disabled, ya know what I mean. But, it is a big help and Iam feeling better about it now...
  • That is great news, Faith! Whew! What an ordeal, huh?

Just be aware that SSA will probably review your file in a few years - it's standard procedure. So if you receive a letter in the mail that your claim is being reviewed, don't freak out and think someone reported you because during the one day you are feeling well they saw you shopping or something like that.

I actually reviewed a claim where the fellow actually told me "I know my neighbor reported me. He's been out to get me one way or the other since I've known him!" Oddly, paranoia was not one of the reasons he was approved. It was because of back problems. But one day he felt well enough to mow the lawn with a riding mower and just happened to have seen the neighbor and put 2 and 2 together and came up with 8. I told him we do this for all claims. It took a bit of convincing, but I think when it was all said and done, I just may have prevented a war between the 2!

Anyway - I said all that to say: congratulations!

• Jeaux, I just received my approval letter two weeks ago. When can I expect to start receiving my benefits?
  • SS Benefit payment schedule,

Hi Bev, Here is the link for SSA paycheck distribution schedules.
    Congrats! :)

• Thank you Mark, I'm glad you got your SSD too. Thanks Susie, it feels good to have some of the stress and anxiety lifted. Thanks Bev, you waited along time too. I'm glad you finally got it! Jeanette you've been through alot, I'm glad you were awarded benefits. I hope the pain pump really helps. And Jeaux, I thank you for all your advice and support. You have really helped me through this process. Thanks for the tip about the review in 3 years, I definitely would've freaked! You've all been so kind, thank you all for listening to my SSD woes.
    Faith M
  • Glad to hear that you were approved. I just received my approval also. I'm sorry it took so long for your approval but now it will take alot of stress of your shoulders. Enjoy spending your back pay!
  • Thank you Morris and congratulations to you also. And thanks Paul for your help and understanding.
    Faith M
  • Jeaunx,

I have been off work since Jan 09 hd dissectomy on L5'S1 in feb 09.Have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 8 years. Worked up until Jan 09. Never missed work for 30 years. After the surgery I never got the feeling back in my leg or foot. Wondering if I should apply for SSD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I view your posts all the time and you know what your are talking about. Please help me.

• So very happy for you. SSD came through for me in January 2009 and honestly it is just sinking in that it is real.
    Take good care
  • Hi guys, I'm new at this SSD. I just applied the first week of June. I had a 3 level fusion 1 year 5 months ago and I cannot work. I am still in pain 24-7, and have finally just learned to accept it and live with it. I REFUSE to go in for more surgery, I'll live with it.
    My question is, does the SSA spy on you with camera's like WC? When I first did my back injury (at work) then it took 1 year of jumping through hoops with their surgeons and doctors, (3 of their surgeons said I needed surgery, but WC didn't want to hear that so they sent me to a 4th opinion, ofcourse he said no, so that's what W/C went with)

Anyway, while jumping through hoops for that 1 year of frickin' agony, dibilitating pain, it was 8 months after my injury that W/C got a video of me, helping my Husband fixing the entrance to our driveway, patching a hole. Although I was sitting in a lawn chair mostly directing him on what to do (LOL), I did bend over a couple of times to "stomp down" the road base product. eventhough, I was on my pain pills. At any rate W/C really made a big deal out of this. But it did take them 8 months of following me to get this little clip. I didn't lift the bags of road base, I didn't do any labor, but just that one little "bend" and stomping the product into the hole, was sure a big deal to them!!!

I ended up having my surgery through my own health insurance after 1 year 3 months. (which was actually better, cause I didn't end up with some "quack" W/C surgeon)

My question is, now that I've filed for SSD (hubby makes too much money for SSI) do I need to keep looking over my shoulder for the SSA video-recording me?
  • My lawyer told me SSD doesn't hire people to spy on you. WC does because they are an insurance co. Like any insurance co. they want to pay as little as possible.
    Faith M
  • Thanks Faith. The "spying" by work comp last year was really wierd. We saw him all the time cause we live in a remote area in the mountains, and we would see him before he would see us. It really was creepy. The funny thing about the video that they shot of me out helping my husband in a lawn chair was all cut up. They didn't show the part of us waving at him (cause we saw him filming)nor did it show me sitting in the lawn chair at the top of our driveway, sitting more than standing, in fact they kinda blocked it out (the chair) with a hill. We were out there for about two hours, my husband working on the damage at the entrance, I was directing (LOL), not to mention just wanting to get outside and away from the couch, I was under heavy pain meds, and this video was after them trying to catch me doing something for 8 months, which they didn't cause I was glued to my bed and couch!

But all that didn't matter in the W/C court. The nasty W/C Judge would STOMP on me, every time I would open my mouth. Workers Compensation is really a messed up system. I only ended up with 20k, and I should have gotten around 150k. But according to "them" I screwed up the day I decided to go to my own Doctors (health insurance through spouse) I guess we're suppose to wait for 2 years with work-comp, of course that's the statute of limitations for a on the job injury, so that would have REALLY been too late cause I couldn't take the pain any longer. So after 3 of their w/c surgeons saying that I needed surgery, and work-comp didn't want to hear that, so they sent me to a 4th, and of course that idiot said, "no". This was 15 months after my injury, and 15 months of pure agony, I decided to go to my own doctors. And sure enough, I was told I needed immediate surgery, that this had gone on long enough! So I had my 3 level fusion done by a top Neurosurgeon. This really pissed off the work-comp people!!! Oh well, I couldn't live like that anymore!! But I guess I was suppose to wait for 2 years, eventhough my surgery was denied by the 4th w/c surgeon... LOL, ya right...

ok, enough that's not what I was questioning. But Jeaux up above said something about someone "tattling" on someone, so it kinda had me wondering if the SSA does the same "spying". Lord knows I would be outside picking up dog poop, and they would make a big deal out of it!
  • My lawyer also wanted me to file for W/C for about 40K. I taught preschool at a church and the people there were my friends and church family. I knew of the $ problems they had and worried a W/C claim might put the preschool right out of business. I just couldn't do that to them. Well I've only heard from 1 of them (my friends?) in three years and we stopped attending that church a long time ago. My misplaced loyalty cost me 40K! I can tell you, I would have HATED being spied on! Thank goodness I was awarded SSD. Good luck to you Lynnsy!
    Faith M