Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-S1 Fusion on 6/1 and the pain is back?!?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi all...here's my situation, hopefully someone can give me some positive feedback.

i have suffered from pain in my foot, behind my knee, and in my hamstring and hip for almost 2 years now. I have had 2 laminectomys done, both to no avail, and went forward with L4-S1 fusion on 6/1. I left the hospital pain free with the obvious exception of the surgical pain and the 30+ staples.

About three days ago, my pain returned. I am trying to stay positive, but I am fearful that my last hope has just run out.

I am supposed to get married in October and am not certain I can lead the love of my life down a path of chronic pain and disability payments for the next 40 years.

I put in a call to my doc to see if this is normal but he's gone for the week and no one at the office can provide me with a straight answer. He had previously told me that after a successful surgery, that type of pain is gone and only leftover nerve "pain" like numbness and pins and needles remain.

Is my foot pains reoccurance a life sentence or is it just a symptom of surgery that will settle over time?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• I read your other posts last evening, but didn't respond because I was not sure what type of surgery you had. Could you provide a few more details? I wasn't clear on whether you had a minimally invasive fusion or something else.

After I have that information I can offer a few observations.
  • I keep finding new areas on this site to post to...not sure which is the proper area, but i am getting good feedback from all the posts...

I had a TLIF from L4-S1. My surgeon told me he didn't use cadaver bones, but rather cages? i think...I also have titanium supports running up both sides of my spine.

I saw my doc on 6/9 and he said everything looked great...of course at that time, my pain was 100% gone. Since then the pain has returned and my doc is away at some conference. I am, of course, very concerned about the pain reoccurring after having been completely gone for over a week.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask...and thanks again for your consideration.

• In the future, it is easier if you just make one post. I don't know what others have said to you, so am probably repeating what you have already heard...

That being said, I was interested in the type of surgery you had so I knew how extensive it was. It is common practice to bathe the surgical area with a combination of steroid and pain medication before closing the patient back up. This takes any where from a week to two weeks to wear off. The idea is that these meds will last until the worst of the surgical pain has passed. I'm guessing here since I do not know the particulars of your surgery, but for most people, the pain for the first week or so would be much worseif these drugs were not used at the end of the surgical procedure.

Many people experience just what you are going through and do not understand why they were feeling great for about 10 days, and then suddenly, the pain they had pre-surgery is back. They assume they have "done something" to compromise their surgical outcome and begin to worry. Usually they are OK, and the pain has been there all the time. The patient just was not aware of it.

What you need to do now is to be very careful to follow your surgeon's instructions perfectly. Do not try to rush this part of your recovery. It is very important that you not twist, bend, reach, push, pull or lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. Right now you should spend most of your time resting and walking. Limit your car riding to necessary trips only. Be sure to eat a nutritious diet and drink lots of fluids. Walking is the most important form of exercise for you. It will provide freshly oxygenated blood to the area and will stretch out some of those spinal nerves. Just don't overdo it. Distance covered is less important than getting out there several times each day.

Recognize that you have had a BIG surgery and it will take time for your body to recover fully. During this period, there will be ups and downs. Try not to measure your progress day by day, but look at it in a bigger block of time. Learn to be patient and try not to get frustrated when your body is not healing as quickly as you would like. Many people who try to hurry along the process usually live to regret it.

Call your doctor if you are still worried, but my guess is that he will tell you that you had a big surgery and that it takes time for the nerves to decompress. Depending on how long the nerve was compressed, it can take months, sometimes longer, for the nerve to regenerate.

Good luck to you.

xx Gwennie