Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pls check out my MRI pics

allicat623aallicat623 Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my MRI today. I got my own copy of the films.

I live in the New Orleans area. I explained to the technician that I keep copies of all past MRIs and take them with me when I evacuate ;-) So when I was leaving he gave me a copy and said the doctor would have my report.

Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to scan them so I went outside and took digital pix of them.... I posted them to a photobucket album here:

I know you guys aren't doctors, but you have a lot of experience with MRIs and cervical/back issues. Please take a look and tell me if you see what I see:

-solid fusion at C4-5
-disc at C5-6 -- It looks to me like is "squooshed", flattened, and oozing out in the front and back against cord! Is this considered "herniated" or beyond that?
-disc at c6-7 -- It also looks a little flat and pushing against cord, but not as bad as the one above it.

The actual vertebra also look kinda white and spread out at that level.....not like those on the other levels.

I'm assuming I'm going to need surgery. I'm okay with it.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can offer.

• when will report be ready?
    i only know a little about mri s with disks white is good and black is bad. hang it there maybe it's going to be ok.
  • I'm going to see my neurologist Thursday afternoon. I just wanted to take a look at them myself and be prepared!!

I'm sure I'm going to have to make an appointment an go to a NS.
  • From what I can see, that looks like a severe stenosis at C5/C6 and I'd be willing to bet that the NS refers to that disc as being "ruptured" versus herniated.

I can only imagine how much pain/numbness/loss of feeling that the injury is causing...it hurts me just to look at it!

I'd be shocked if the NS suggests anything other than surgery, and my guess is that he'll want to get at it ASAP based on how severe it happens to look.

Best wishes and take care!

• hi Alli,

I have my films and a solid fusion and it it looks like yours.

When you go have him/her explain the areas. It is really interesting. Actually, the other views (ones that look like blobs) show structures much better. Don't worry about those indentations too much.

Hope things work out for you. If you know the anatomy of the cervical spine, it will be easier to formulate questions when you see your health care provider.

Take care and be well.
  • are black spots good or bad when seen on a ct scan?

looking at my ct scan, (copy for my upcoming doc appt) you see several disc in their 'circle' shape and then one that is all over the place - sorta like bat wings and it has black spots to the left and right. Just wondering

• how old are you? If you dont mind me asking. I just looked at my mri and realized what my future might look like if i have a ACDF. Im scared and dont think i will be able to sleep tonight..

tears ready to roll...
  • JKDE302 said:
    how old are you? If you dont mind me asking. I just looked at my mri and realized what my future might look like if i have a ACDF. Im scared and dont think i will be able to sleep tonight..

tears ready to roll...
    Sorry to keep you awake.....I'm 46. I had the ACDF done 15 years ago when I was 31. It was donor bone without any type of metal brace.

And I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I've gotten 15 great years from that surgery....I've been able to have a second baby, raise two great kids, work out of the house for many years, volunteer at my kids' schools, go on vacation with my family (including several trips to Disney World with my kids and riding the crazy rides), etc.!

I regret not taking better care of myself over the years and I'm a little scared what the next surgery might bring, but I figure the technology has improved tremendously in 15 years. The first surgery was successful and I'm betting the next one is, too.

And everyone is different and my story doesn't necessarily have to be yours.

I have Crohn's disease (like ulcerative colitis that causes inflamed lining of entire digestive tract) and over my life have taken lots of prednisone, a steroid that is like a miracle drug for active Crohn's.....but unfortunately, is horrible for bones. I've had osteopenia -- one step away from osteoporosis -- while in my 30s because of the prednisone. I've built the bone back through fosomax and calcium/vitamin D supplements.

Also, I'm overweight and don't exercise consistently. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have taken better care of me... But after my ACDF, I had my second child, worked full time, and like most women, took care of everyone else instead of me.

Now, I'm ready to do everything I can to improve. I'm seeing the NS on Monday with films and reports in hand and with a can-do attitude!

What other alternative do I have???

My son is entering college in the fall and my daughter is entering high school. Her dance team is going to be in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and I've already committed to going to New York.

And I fully intend to!!!

I'm not trying to be a "Pollyanna" and I know it's going to be tough, but at this point, I'm ready to meet with the NS, see which type of surgery or treatment he is advising and then I'm ready to just do it!! The sooner it is done, the sooner I can start physical therapy or whatever I need to do to get better!

So, remember that I am NOT a medical professional in any way, but my advice to those in your 20s/30s: take care of yourself, be your own health advocate, but don't necessarily be afraid of surgery or whatever your doctor is recommending. It could give you a lot of good years and let you live a relatively great life!!!

• allicat thank you so much for that info...and best of luck