Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI joint, L5 and S1 pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Spinal Injections
Hey guys;
I am a 32 yr old female, i started to have severe lower back pain which radiates through both of my legs, around a yr ago. i had MRI and it showes the disc around my L5-S1. i had a SI joint injection (blinded, not through fluoroscopy) b/c i have a severe pain at SI joint as well, and it caused my back muscles severe spasm that caused me to go to ER. The muscle pain is gone but i am still suffering from the nerve pain. my doctor recommended me to get epidural injection for L5,S1 and SI joint but i am kinda affraid of getting that severe severe muscle spasm after it. I was just wondering if any one here experienced the same thing or if u guys know any solution to it.
P.S. i was wondering if any of u guys have a job which requires standing up and if yes how do u deal with it? does ur supervisor allow u to sit b/c u have special situation?

• I think it would be worth a try to have the ESIs, and in fact, many insurance companies require it before they will allow a patient to proceed with surgery, if it should be required. BUT, you must have them with fluroscopy. That way you will at least be assured that the doctor is getting the steroid into the right spots. Also, there is less chance for unintended outcomes! When you make the appointment, discuss with them the severe muscle spasms you had after the SI joint injection.

I would think that there is no correlation between the two, but better ask to be sure.

Sorry I can't help you with the question pertaining to your job.
  • Hi Jess2, I have personal experience with the fact that injections just don't work for everybody. In fact all injections I have tried with different docs have all made me worse or flared me up more. I have had a couple of trigger point injections, a facet joint injection and two nerveblocks. The facet joint injection was the worst, and I ended up not being able to walk even w/ crutches for a month, then slowly 'learning' to walk again for 9 mos with crutches. I have lower back issues with a continuous nerve inflammation that nobody knows the reason for. The pain also normally affects my legs badly. But all the injections have irritated the nerves more.

So, even though injections help a lot of people, they don't suit everyone. You know your body best.