Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 months post op ALIF, with lots of back and joint pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am writting because in a week I will be 4 months post ALIF with intramentation. Besides from still being exhausted and not being able to keep up stamina.. I am also starting to feel increasing amount of joint pain.. Fingers are swollen every morning and most of the day. My ankles and knees hurt sooooooo bad.. Im not sure if my back hurts more or my joints.. My back still hurts ALOT..!!! Do you think the joints can be related to the back surgery.. HOw long does it take to recover.. My abdomen hurts still from where I have the insision and I have also been having alot of constipation still.. I just feel miserable.. I know my family has got to be tired of hearing me complain of the pain.. Teenagers arent very understanding and my husband i am sure doesnt really understand.. HELP>>

• Hi Krissygirl:

Just a thought, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Do you have arthritis? Usually joints on each side (right knee and left knee, right finger and left finger) hurt at the same time, are stiff and swollen, may be red. It can affect any joints in your body and be very painful. Being exausted is also a part of RA. Not to scare you or guess what's wrong, just a thought because of what I have gone through these past 2 years with it. Do you wake up with morning stiffness/pain, and it subsides as the morning goes on a little?

I wondered if the two were connected at one point, but my RA dr. said no. I had l5-s1 laminectomy , twice in 2 months. I am about 4 months out as well and my back hurts pretty bad at times still too. I would've thought by now I'd be feeling much better.

I am sorry you're not feeling well still. It might be a good idea to get a check up with your regular family dr. to make sure there's nothing else going on and maybe call your back dr. as well to tell them what you're feeling in case there's something going on with your back.

Take care!
  • thanks.. I had a RA test done a couple years ago and it came up negative. Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I have a drs appt today with my GP but as you know, you get more info from studying it and asking other people like these forums. I hope i can get some kind of answer. Good luck on your RA.. I know that is very painful! Kris..
  • Good luck, let us know how things turn out! Sometimes you need to be a squeaky wheel until you get some answers :)
  • yesterday i went to the docs and he ran another RA, and ana and the a bunch of others... thanks for your advice.. He also ordered a renal ultrasound ... i have also gained like 20 to 25 lbs since march..IVE ALWAYS been thin! What the heck..