Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI results need advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I just got my MRI results and I do not understand it all but my primary Doctor summed the 2 pages up as having a herniated disc at L-5 S-1 mild compression. L-4 -L-5 Major herniation(Broad Based) she states extruded with moderate central stenosis. She said something about leaking spinal fluid, disc degeneration which I expected them to find. I go see my original back doctor from 8 years ago next Tuesday the 7th. Back in 2000 I had a herniated and ruptured disc and he did a laminectomy I guess to remove the disc from the nerves. He did an awesome job until a month ago when it went out and I thought I was finished for good. Anyway on Robaxin (miracle drug for me)and oxycodone. I feel absolutely great but am being very careful especially now. Anyway not sure what my options will be but hope I can avoid surgery. I am unable to find information on central stenosis and right lateral recess stenosis. I see Stenosis and cervical stenosis but not sure if their is good stenosis, bad stenosis and really bad stenosis. I also was wondering if my disc is extremely extruded does that mean I most likely will have to have surgery or can a chiropractor adjust me slowly or even physical therapy be an option? I had surgery in April for plantar faciitis but its back and burning like hell. Doctor says it is most likely from my back, can your heel really be affected because of a herniated disc? Anyway looking for someone with similar problem and what I am about to talk about with my doctor on my upcoming appointment. I am so happy this site is here to get advice and information, anyone that can help it is greatly appreciated.

• Welcome to SH :H I'm sorry you're having to go through this all over again, and I understand how difficult this pain is.

I want to mention that the leak you're thinking of is not spinal fluid but likely fluid that leaked out of the disc itself which is very irritating to nerves. I strongly recommend not going to a chiropractor because they are not qualified to deal with complex back problems.

I herniated L4-S1 over 3 years ago, and had a total of 2 surgeries. My S1 nerve is permanently damaged and I get burning, tingling, pins and needles sensations in my heel all the time. I do have nerve pain in both legs and experience muscle spasms as well as nerve pain. I can't tell you if you will have surgery down the road, but it's an option if there is nerve compression and if all conservative treatments have failed.

Well, I hope things work out for you and that one day you'll recover completely. Take care O:)
  • Thanks, I was wondering what she was talking about when she said leaking spinal fluid. I was trying to read the MRI and do research but when I put in words I did not understand none of them said anything about spinal fluid. She is a DR in training so she probably did not know what she was talking about. I will see my spine Dr next Tuesday and am sure he will explain what is really going on. My foot burns and almost feels sprained but only once in awhile throughout the day. Its got to be my back that is causing this.
  • sorry you are having so much trouble. i agree with what meydey said. the stenosis or pressure on the spinal nerves is never good. that squeezing of the nerves either by bone or disk needs to be relieved somehow. maybe surgery. i hope the dr. has a solution for you...listen carefully then come back to us for some support. Youve already been thru surgery and obtained relief so think positive. if you need more surgery you can handle it.
    what puzzles me is the heel. i don't know whether the pain is from the pressure on the spinal nerves or from the plantar facilitis you had before. if there is a lot of tingling and numbness it might be from spine. maybe you never had the plantar faciilitis before. maybe it
    was all caused by the spine. i'd get another opinion from the dr. that worked on your foot. maybe you can get two drs to agree....
    Don't see chiro guy with your problem. he can only hurt you. pressure ...stenosis...from disk and bones pressing isn't going to be ficed by some snapping by chiropractor.
    good luck with it and keep us posted