Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another large involuntary body spasm last night causing tons of pain today

LumbarLynneLLumbarLynne Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It happened again last night - I had a huge full body twitch while I was sleeping and wrenched my back because of the spasm. I was hurting real bad last night and had to get hubby up to get me more pain pills. I couldn't move well after that and now my neck is in spasm too. I have been doing so good but these body twitches just cause me to wrench my back and I am afraid it is going to do damage! Maybe I should call my doctor.

• I would call your doctor. Also, maybe you need to be taking certain vitamins and minerals for the cramping. You might ask about that, too.

I guess I was lucky in that I never had any muscle spasms. Perhaps it was because I had an open procedure. Maybe they don't have to retract the muscle tissue as much as with MIS....I really have no idea!
  • I think it would be a very good idea to call your Dr. He can maybe give you some muscle relaxers to keep you from getting these. they are badm and I still after 7 months occasionly get them. Good Luck
  • You should definitely call your Dr. and get some muscle relaxers. It also helps to keep hydrated, make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. I started muschle spasms (severe) around one month out and continued for over 5 months. Though the muscle relaxers (Flexeril, Robaxin) help, they did not go away completely.I only get them now on occasion but take a muscle relaxer always at bedtime.
  • yah i've had different kinds of spasms also some were the legs and i had others that seemed more in my chest/lung area. could you go into a little detail on their location?
  • Wow, I thought I was alone! Although I've been free of them for a while, it was exactly like when you almost fall asleep, and your whole body jerks and you wake back up (my mother used to say it was our souls had been wandering, and they jumped back in our bodies. ;) )

For me, there was nothing I could do for them, valium didn't even help! I hope you can find something that will work for you! >:D<
  • maybe lynne's getting the LUNG LUNGER TERROR SPASMS like you just mentioned. i got one of those once while on a couch and it actually knocked me on the floor! there was a post awhile back that got into this subject and i think we determined it was caused by not enough O2 in the blood and the body reacted by gasping quickly for air. mine eased off when i cut back on pain pills and sleeping pills
  • They are usually full body spasms - sometimes just in arms and legs but those don't wake me up because they don't cause me to arch my back - my hubby says I am VERY twitchy while sleeping - but now with the back issue, it is causing me to jerk my back and wake up in terrible pain.

Do you think it is from the narcotics?

I already take a muscle relaxer before bed every night, so that obviously isn't helping.
  • yours sounds different than mine. i didnt get much pain. i really don't have a clue as to whats causing the painful spasms.i guess you should try to get an answer from your "dr. house."
    if i were to guess i would guess meds. but if there's pain that points more to the spine. they are awfully scary. :SS :SS :SS :SS
  • Lynne Im sorry to hear about yoour pain and dscomfort Keep a good attitude
    and I will say a prayer for you.I also have spasms at night but I found if I
    walk right before I go to bed it helped with my spasms

• So sorry to hear of this unexpected complication. You questioned whether it could have anything to do with the narcotics and that reminded me of something.

A few years ago I was in the hospital on a pain pump (pretty sure it was Demerol). I was awakened several times in the night when my jaw would suddenly go into violent spasm--thought I was going to break my teeth! I attributed it to the medicine because once I was home that didn't happen again. I would definitely ask your surgeon as this is not normal. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I saw my PCP (surgeon's office was clueless) about the spasms. She gave me a prescription of Mirapex - which is used to treat Restless Leg Syndrome and in higher doses, it treats Parkinson's disease. I took my first pill last night and still had 2 episodes that woke me up, there weren't terrible but sometimes they are more severe so we will just have to wait and see if this med helps. I am also now taking 2 muscle relaxers at night before bed too instead of just 1. I may need them to increase my dose of Mirapex if this low dose isn't enough but we will see.