Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Scoliosis
hi all im a 22 yr old female with scoliosis my curve is at 58 degrees and in the next 4 to 6 weeks il be having surgery wondering if there is ne 1 else who have had this kind of surgery and how they have been x x x

• welcome!!!! my name is pete. sometimes i think my name is mud because of all my pain. i dont have scoliosis but many here at spine-health do and have reported here bout their experiences. i think for you to get the most out of this web site you should type SCOLIOSIS into the search engine of SH and read some of the stories.
    by the way what levels of your spine are you going to have stabilized?
  • Hi Sara

iam 34 yrs old and i just had my surgery last month to correct my scoilisis. it was 48 curve and it was corrected with 5 hour surgery from the back. im still having pain but it should take 8 weeks. i got some infections and i have 2 rods and 14 screws in my back.
    hope it will get better

• Hi Sarah, I am a wife, mother of two kids 13 and 9 and a teacher and I had my surgery almost 8 weeks ago. My curve was 44 degrees and moving rapidly. It increased over the last ten years, probably due to pregnancies and work. After tremendous consideration and a lot of preparation, we decided to go through with the surgery. I went with a neurosurgeon who specializes in spinal fusion. My fusion is from the thoracic 2 to 12. Its a pretty big scar! My surgery took 10 hours and my surgeon did a great job with the scar. He only went in through my back, which lessened the recovery time. Some people have to have a rib removed, so I was lucky. The technology they have now is really unbelievable. I am still in recovery, and doing really well. My biggest complaint is my nerves are deadened in my thighs and radiate throughout my legs down to my feet. I still have various pains throughout my spine, but it is sooo much better than it was a couple of weeks ago. Prior to my surgery (for the last few years) my quality of life was so awful, I was in so much pain all the time (especially on the right side, and my right rib hump). I didn't want to end up in a wheelchair. My kids aren't grown and I have so many more years with them, I also wanted my life back. I was in the hospital for a week and I wear a back brace to help me correct my posture, and support the fusion. I would really like to continue to talk to you and support you in any way I can. It is uncommon to find many people out there in our situation that really understand. You are so young, and I know that it seems like a huge chunk of your life for the recovery process, but it will be worth it in the end. The key is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with and who specializes in scoliosis :-C
  • Hi Sarah. At your age, the recovery from this surgery is far better than at my age. You will do great!

Check out my signature and PM me if you want to know more.
This discussion has been closed.