Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does Scar Tissue Block or interupt nerve pain?

adambaadamb Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lower Back Pain
When I hurt my back there was a ton of pain and all the other stuff that comes with it. It got extreme and backed off, worse and less. This went on for Years. Anyway in the last few months before surgery I noticed a significant decrease in pain. I was told because of the amount of scar tissue build up in my low back it actually was interupting the pain and so it did not bother me. As all you know when pain is high and then when there is some relief you feel like 100 per cent better. Even though the pain even at its lowest, if it was with anyone else they would be in bed. SO I was wondering has anyone heard about Scar tissue blocking the pain?

• I don't quite see how that would work...but obviously, just because I am not familiar with it doesn't mean it can't happen! :?

The pain is generated by nerve compression, or irritation. I do not see how the addition of scar tissue would change this. Usually if a nerve becomes scarred, it is a source of pain.

Scar tissue usually presses on a nerve or can become entangled in the nerve or grow into the nerve. All can be sources of pain. Or the nerve itself can become scarred, which causes the nerve to behave abnormally.

What type of surgery were you supposed to have and at which level?
  • its been a while since I have last posted, but I wanted to comment on this subject. I did already have fusion surger L4/5 and I went in to it with little Pain, but there was a lot of damage done, so it was necassary. I still dont know why I had little pain the last few months or so, but there were a few others I had talked to that said they had no pain either. I was just wondering how this could be?
  • normally increases pain !! and is normal after surgery .i have a lot of epidural fibrosis {i have had most of it removed once } but it has come back again .its a dreadful thing to have and give you lots of pain .so i don't think that you have epidural fibrosis .
This discussion has been closed.