Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello everyone, new here and need help.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
I have been having pains in back and vague pains all over and actually seem to have nerve damage and have many nerve injury symptoms such as tingling limbs, sciatica and have many symotoms of MS including bladder problems, eye sight issues, random pains facial numbness, etc, I have an emg test done and came out fine, then had a lower back mri yesterday that doc ordered as she is concerned with nerve damage, my results on the report are:

IMPRESSION: At L4-L5 there is a small left foraminal disc protrusion superimposed upon a mild disc bulge, the examinaton of the lumbar spine is otherwise normal

Few questions

1) How bad is this, will it get worst
2) Could these be causing nerve and neuro issues
3) Should I have rest of spine checked out too? are there nerves there too?

I have also been having gallbladder and digestion issues and just random pains and wandering could this be the cause.

I have a feeling this was caused by squats at the gym.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having pain. ~X( i am having some gallbladder issues myself and i know how painful that can be. please stay in touch with your doctor.. :-C he can best answer your questions! good luck! :D Jenny :)
  • Welcome (unfortunately) to the site and you did not mention if in pain or if on medications. I am not in the medical profession but can tell you a few things I had to find out and hope it helps you!

You now have the results of your MRI. If you haven’t read it yet you should read the article on http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/back-pain/mri-scan-spine and note that the MRI is part of the diagnosis. I was also told if bladder issues or my situation got worse over weekend (at that stage only had X-Rays and not got results back yet) then go to the Emergency Room http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/back-pain/when-back-pain-may-be-a-medical-emergency You are already under care as had the MRI and unless conditions have changed since your last visit then should be no emergency and no need to panic. There are a lot of articles on this site such as Back Pain etc so suggest you have a look at some of them.

Certainly when you have the disks pushing on nerve there can be pain (and from personal experience can be very intense) but one of the first things a doctor (especially neurologist) will do is test to ensure not permanent damage (in other words you will recover). The pain can do all sorts of horrible things to muscles which may pull your skeletal structure out of alignment and impact other parts of the body. For example I had sciatic issues a few years ago that pulled things so far out of alignment that it and hurt to breath (didn’t stop me breathing although sure some people wished I had).

Are you on drugs for pain? If you google the drugs “Package Insert” you will find most of the possible side effects etc. Some drugs impact a % of people with side effects that could be impacting organs. Different drugs work on different parts of the body (nerves, muscles and anti inflammatory) and different side effects.

Squats can be bad news. I was once told never to do exercises that put pressure down the spine. Talk it through with your doctor. If he/she has referred you to a Physical Therapist then they can really advise you! You should not stop exercising and possibly increase but do it in the right way. Most likely a Physical Therapist will tell you to strengthen core body muscles and progress from there.

To answer your questions (and note I am just a sufferer and not in Medical Profession)
    1. It could get worse but as you are asking questions and hopefully looking after yourself and ready to follow instructions (such as start core body strengthening exercises when your Physical Therapist advises) then should get better!
    2. Definitely the disk protrusion and bulge could press on your nerves but the doctor will talk you through that and ensure not permanent etc. When the Bulge recedes the pain should also.
    3. Rest of Spine – The doctors can tell from your physical ailments where to look (per article on the mri). You go to the gym so suggest you start treating you spine like it is irreplaceable (as that is the case) and tone up all muscles around it from your head to tailbone! There are lot of books but many people recommending McKenzie exercises (and you can look up books by Robin McKenzie who is a NZ Physical Therapist and there are organizations all over the world that are certified in those methods).

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery
  • You've come to a great site to research back pain information as well as for support from those who know what you are going through.

You have multiple symptoms that you should discuss with your doctor. Write your concerns down and focus your next appointment with your doctor on these questions and the results of your MRI, remember they only give you about 15 minutes for a visit and really only hear what you say for about the first five. What type of doctor ordered your MRI, your PCP? If you don't get your questions answered, I would ask for a referral to a neurologist.

Best wishes to you,

• Hi.
    I have a diagnosis of M.S. (which I was(still am abit) in denial for some time and now the monster might have a tug on my body but never my heart and soul)
    I also have many cervical issues.(1 being cervical stenosis with myeolopathy)
    The two can have alot of the same symptoms.and then have many that don't have nothing in common.
    My surgery I believed saved me from becoming completely paralyzed.
    It was not easy to find a surgeon that would take me on but by the grace of God I did.
    I have a wonderful neurologist that keeps a close eye on me and my symptoms.He does a percent on me like what percent of symptoms coming from what problem.. M.S. or Myeolopathy the percent changes from time to time.
    My suggestion and only a suggestion from my own experiences is to have a brain MRI. but a neurologist has to have a reason to order this.and I have found in past 3 or 4 years the brain and cervical MRIs (and even whole back mri's) I had from the beginning was a good way for doc's to have something to compare and see how fast things where progressing.
    stay positive as hard as it may seem.

This has been hard for me to reply too.. I still don't want to accept the M.S. diagnosis and don't talk about it much.

I have found that I have much more mid and lower back pain & sciatica pain that has increased since my surgery.
    please feel free to p.m. anytime..
    Hugs to all Patsy

• my advice .give the gym a rest and have your gallbladder sorted out .as for your back the MRI scan would have seen any other problems and the radiographer would have informed your doctor .also if you are well enough to go to the gym i would strongly advise you to keep away from operation theatres regarding back surgery ,treat your back ache conservatively .use TENS ice and pain killers and rest .if things get really bad {and you will know about it if they do as you will be in excruciating pain} then you go to the surgeons and sort your spine out..if your back is not giving you hell 24/7 then trust me live with it ..because once you start with back operations the word becomes a different place just anyone that post on here