Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

at a loss, looking for suggestions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I'm new, so let me brief on my story. My husband got hurt on the job almost 5 years ago. He was in federal law enforcement.While at work one day he was responding to a body alarm(for a fellow officer)he slipped on a wet floor,first hitting a table and then the floor. he landed on his hip first and then his back. He was seen by the prison physcian and sent right away to the hospital. I met him there, where they took exrays so forth and so on. Following this he entered physical therapy, which didnt help at all.It wasnt discovered until 6 mnths later that he had broken his hip in the fall. we were told it was too late for any surgery as the hip had already healed improperly. He had 3 herniated disks s1,L4 and L5. He saw a pain management doctor for nearly three years. He has been on every medication imagineable, had epidural injections, nerve blocks,etc. In the beginning he did not want surgery, but after almost 3 years of pain management, in which nothing seemed to make him feel better, he started to consider it. He also started to use a cane 6 months after the fall. He walks leaning to the left because of the pain in his right side, running down his sciatic nerve, he suffers from numbness in his right leg, buttocks, and left arm. His pain mangmnt dr. took another mri only to discover that he now has 2 herniated disks in his neck. We sold our house in pennsylvania and moved to Florida thinking the weather would be better for his back. Also the salt water is great when we can be in it. He has some manageable days but most are unbearable for him. he has been on morphine for over 2 years now and his current Dr. has recently put him on the fentanyl patch as well. He just started seeing this Dr. and he has started him on the same treatments he had before. The ones that didnt help. Epidural injections and next week nerve blocks. I dont understand why we are going through this again. its been over almost 2 and a half years, his condition is far worse than before, if they didnt help then how will they help him now. He has all the previous Drs. reports. My husband has been told he will never be able to work again, which is hard enough for him to accept, he is only 42 years old. I am at such at loss as to what to do for him. PLEASE HELP US!!! we would appreciate any advice on the matter..

• :H Welcome to SpineHealth -

:H Hi and welcome. What a roller coaster your husband has been on these last few years! Unlike myself, there are many posters on this forum who have have more experience with the types of issues that your husband is experiencing. I'm sure you'll get many on this site who will respond to you.

I feel your angst at having to see your husband go through the same treatments again that didn't help him last time. My thought is that each new doctor wants to rely on his own protocols as he sees fit. You mentioned your husband is considering surgery. Has he has a conversation with a surgeon yet? And, if so, what type of surgery is recommended?

By the way, I'm a Florida girl also. Take care,

• Welcome! I'm new here as well, and have found tons of advice and information on here. I'm so sorry that yall are going through this right now. I hope you can get some answers.
  • I'm sorry to hear what happened to your husband, and it evident that you love and care for him very deeply. It's so hard to see the ones we love suffering, esp during the prime of their lives. It can get overwhelming and frustrating because you feel so helpless.

Many of us here are in this same position where we can no longer work and have given up a lot our former lifestyle. I'm 35 and I can't function due to chronic back and nerve pain. I've been through procedures, surgeries, pain mgt, spinal injections, etc. Even so, I don't feel it's the end of the road for me. Never give up because something else may come around down the road to help out. For now I take my meds and wait for the day that I get my pain pump surgery to improve my quality of life. It's so hard because I can't do a lot of things with my family, esp my kids like I once could. I spend most of my time in bed because it hurts to sit, walk, etc. The pain is constant and unrelenting, so I totally relate to what your husband is going through. What you can do is to continue to love him and offer your support. I know that he worries about you and feels like he's burdening you. I feel the same way all the time because I lean on everybody for help and they pick up my slack. It is natural to feel guilty about that, but it's not our fault. This is the card we've been dealt with so therefore we must do what we can to overcome difficulties and learn how to do things differently. Each day is a struggle but as long as you and your husband stick together, you can get through this. Take care
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. sticking by your husband is more help than you know... :X he needs you so much!! >:D< it can seem like an endless merry-go-round..patience is so key.. look around the forum and see if you don't come across some solutions.. :? i wish you both the best of luck and all the happiness permitted!! :D Jenny :)