Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion is happening already!!

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my 6 week post-op today. The surgeon said that i am almost fused already. He was not expecting that and neither was I. Must of been the stem cells. You have no idea what this means to me....I have had 3 previous failed fusions. Could this be the end of the nightmare? Oh how I hope. I am still sitting here in shock. I have always just assumed for the worst when it came to my neck. You know what they say when you assume,lol. Hopefully my neck will continue to improve and the pain levels will come down. He says I have a long way to go yet but to give it time, that I had a very rough surgery. His exact words were 'I had to beat the sh*t out of you to do what needed to be done.' I have to go and share my news with everyone I know. My son,parents,siblings,friends,mailman and everyone else that will listen!

• Hello - so very happy for you! Sending you continued healing thoughts!
  • Did they use the Stem Cell treatment where they add stem cell to your bone in lieu of BMP?
  • Wonderful news, Susan. I hope your recovery continues to be amazing!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • how happy you are. fusion at last...i think spine health brought you good luck...now get back to work...no slacking here!!! >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P
    Bring on the party! GREAT NEWS!

The psychological lift this gave you will certainly have a positive effect on your pain levels.

SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY for you! :D :D :D

Take care,

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    This is how I understand the stem cells were used. He grounded up the osteophytes and the vertebra he removed (c5-6)a plate and cage were placed and the grounded up body parts were used along with the stem cells. Amazing isnt it. I wish I could get him to talk more in detail but getting this man to sit still and have a conversation longer then 5 minutes is asking for a miracle. Best surgeon in the world but conversation is not his strong point. I have requested op report just out of curiosity. I have alot of questions I would like answers to but today they were transporting a patient from another hospital for emergency surgery and he was the surgeon doing the surgery. Someone else needed him more then me today. I do not see him again for 6 months so I guess i will have to wait.
  • Wow good job! I am so happy for you. I cant believe you dont have a ck up for 6 months though. Seems like a long time, but I am no Dr. Glad you have done so well. But after three previous, you deserve it. Yeah for you <:P
  • I'm so happy for you. I had BMP with my own bone marrow spackled around my rods full of cadaver bone and it seems to have worked very well. I'm nearly all fused and everything is nice and level.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • For those already fused or nearly fused, can you tell me how your dr. confirmed this? My dr. could see new bone in the pelvic area but said it can't be seen in the thoracic area on an xray.

I'm going away tomorrow but will check back here when I get back. Just interested. Thanks in advance.
  • I am so happy for you Susan! I didn't realize they were using stem cells for fusions.

Best wishes to you,

• Hi Susan :)))

What a joy to be fusing already, and you deserve it after all the failed ones. The difference must be the stem cells. Hoping the rest of your recovery goes well.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I have had a failed 2 level fusion at l4-l5, s1, and have had 3 more surgeries there to try and correct problems to no avail. I will find out next week about neck surgery for 3 herniated disc (c5, 6 &7). Needless to say, I'm very nervous. I am veery interested in the use of stem cells for back problems, but the info is hard to find. If you don't mind sharing the info, I would be very interested to know who your dr is and where they are located. I certainly don't want anymore problems than I already have.
    Thank you for your time and I pray you become pain free and get an excellent report when you go back.

• I will be having a fusion shortly and my doc will be using BMP along with my ground up useless facet jiont for bone graft. Anyone know the stats on success/complication using BMP?
  • It depends on who you talk with....If you are one of the manufacturors of BMP, the success rate is very high. If you are one of the lawyers representing patients who are suing those manufacturers, you have a very different set of statistics.

There have been several very long threads on the use of BMP. I can't locate the one I wanted, but here is another:

There is quite a bit of information on the web, too if you want to do some research.