Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 wks post op 2nd fusion for L5-S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This is my second surgery for L5-S1. First one was done 12/2008. I returned to work two months post op. That was a big mistake. I have a feeling that helped lead to the failure of the fusion. Dr. removed me from work on July 2008 and have not been back since. Second surgery was done anteriorly on 7/2009. I am still having a high level of pain left leg and foot. I am also experiencing a severe burning sensation through the leg into the foot as well; it actually feels warmer than the right leg. I currently cannot sit for really more than 10 minutes at a time unless reclined. Also walking any longer than about 5 minutes causes extreme pain so pretty much still bed ridden and miserably depressed. Sure takes the wind out of your sails.

L5-S1 fusion 12/2008 posteriorly
L5-S1 fusion 7/2009 anteriorly
had multiple injections and prescribed other pain meds as well.
medication: Percocet; neurontin

• I am sorry you are having so many problems with your surgeries. I am curious if there was some particular reason you had another fusion so soon after the first one? It is unusual for a surgeon to operate again so soon after the first one. Usually they don't even consider a surgery failed for at least a year. I just was wondering what is different about your case?

I imagine you are tired of hearing this, but you are still very early in recovery from BOTH surgeries. It is understandable that you are still in a great deal of pain. I would imagine you still have some inflammation and some seriously ticked off nerves.

Does using a cold pack/ice help any?

I hope you will be patient with your healing and walk when as often as you can.

xx Gwennie
  • So sorry to hear that you had to go through it again. It is hard enough to stay positive the first time. I hope you give yourslef plenty of time to heal and rest. You know how important it is. Take care and hang in there. It is bound to get better. If you feel lonely, I am always around so just pM me and we can talk it over. Try to keep walking and get the blood flowing to your back. Keep your chin up, the worst should now be behind you.. >:D<