Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

weather and it's effects on chronic pain

HollieSterling38HollieSterling38 Posts: 390
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Chronic Pain
I know humidity changes,temperture changes and weather changes and so on effect us,especially those of us with chronic pain or any pain period. But why? And what do you do about it?
I know for me I feel like I could use some WD-40 in my joints and spine with the changes! LOL .... Can anyone explain this?

• really makes pain worse for me. dont know why. studies even show this to be true but no explanation. todays an exception however...beautiful day and i feel like crap...lol
  • It's raining here and another front came through. What gets me is on top of the normal crap, when changes in weather happen I get pain in places that othertimes don't bother me. I love summer time, the heat(when not humid and way too hot)and the sun feels so good on my body and mind.
  • I'm new at the spine surgery part of this so I haven't experienced weather pain in my back (yet) but I broke my arm above the elbow when I was 9 and to this day, when a front is on its way, my arm can really hurt - a deep, strong ache. Sometimes I know the weather is changing without looking out the window or watching the news, it is such a sudden pain like someone has put a vise around my elbow. I understand that it has to do with the changes in the air pressure associated with fronts. Low pressure tends toi bring rainy weather so that may be part of the reason why we feel these aches so often when it's damp.

I am not a meteorologist or a doctor - just a weather geek and a science teacher that shares your pain. Have a sunny day.
  • but I know when it's going to rain or snow... and I hurt way worse when it's humid out, so I hide in my house with the central air on in the summer, and really miss having a wood stove for in the winter!!! I once had a doctor who told me it was all a bunch of bs and it was in my head... he also didn't suffer from chronic pain...
    Anyways, I googled it and here's an interesting link:

APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thanks,that was pretty interesting.
  • i hope jan the science teacher doesnt flunk me on it...lol
    arthritis causes swelling. swelling presses on nerves. high pressure contracts the area of swelling reducing nerve pressure...thanks for lisening......pete, aka einstien :-C
  • Good link Holly - but I know my elbow hurts pretty dang bad at times!!! I like your thinking process Pete. Makes sense to me. What do those scientists know anyway?

When the weather is changing and my elbow starts to hurt I think of that very old black and white Disney (?) cartoon where the old country guy is sitting with his pipe in his teeth and his feet on a stool in front of the fireplace. Outside a storm is a-brewin' and his big toe starts a-throbbin'. Anyone else remember that one? Careful, you might show your age!
  • I just know it's all about barometric pressure and the cold danp weather that makes us all ache and hurt in places we normally do not hurt. Pete explained it much better than I can.
    Right now, in my part of the country where I live, the weather is just lovely!! Sunny and dry with a hint of fall in the air.
    Soon my beloved mouintains will be spectacular and blazing with fall colors. If we are lucky, the air will be crisp and dry. No matter how bad my pain is..it fades away when I gaze at natures beauty all around me.
    I am a nature freak.LOL
    Patsy W
  • kath and i went there for out 10th wedding anniversary and i found my pain levels went down .i was still in pain but it was tolerable .i think its because its very dry over there and it helps .where i live its always wet and damp if we get a summer its a week of torturous heat 38 degrees of humidity its horrible you carnt sleep and your walking around the house dripping wet through even with a fan on you its still bad .hopefully we will be going to fuerteventura next sept all being well
  • I've heard (from socalled professionals) that weather has no effect on our aches and pains at all, that it's an old wives tale. That's quite the load of Cr#$! I know for a fact that when the weather changes or when the sky is overcast I can predict it before the weather person on TV. I can feel it EVERYWHERE. I don't know what the actual cause is and I'll read the link above when I'm not too cold like I am right now. It should be an interesting read.
  • I think it a big load too. I think drs who say it can't be this or it can't be that when they probly have never had a bad back or broken bone are like people who talk about and write about having and raising kids, who don't even have kids.
    Great, we have another cold front heading this way by the end of the week.
    Like I need any help hurting worse than I already do. It's enough to drive someone just completely in sane. Or at least me. Sheeeeesh!
    Where is the best place in the country to live,where the weather changes are not so harsh on the body?
    Is there even such a place? I'd about consider moving, LOL!!!
  • Where I do, in the desert southwest! We don't have much in the way of humidity and the weather never changes, it's always warm. The winters are even warm. I'd say in the 60's at the lowest daytime temps. I can only use my fireplace for about 1 month in the winter and I have to keep my heater very low. Of course we do get some weather, cloudy skies and such (that's how I know about the weather pain' but not nearly as often as where you would get it elsewhere. If you would like to know exactly where I live just send me a pm. The actual town makes a big difference. Although I can tell you that Pheonix would be a good choice. You made me laugh with your comment above, the parenting styles of the childless, LOL!!!!!!!!
  • If you put "weather and pain" in the search box at the top of the page, it will bring up hundreds of threads discussing the subject. You might be able to get better insight by browsing through those posts.

• We have to live with it best we can.
    Warm hot weather brings me less pain and I can get by pretty well. This last week the temps are dropping and the rains are moving in and out. I have gone from not turning the SCS and just living with a little pain to running it all day long.

I'd say it was all in my head, but it is my back, neck, shoulder and arm the bear the brunt of the pain.

Scared me today, got a call dr code 006! I resynched and all worked fine, that was a relief!
  • My back pain and whole body go through living hell, while cold or humid weather bring pain- hot brings insane fatigue.In the last 2 years, DR.'s have said whatever lame excuse to avoid giving relief,my dr has contradictated himself enough times that I barely believe him anymore esp. His last referals.ooops end rant.
  • Yes .. last week here it was a cold frost!! my walls wre even wet i was freezing and in so much pain for 2 days i stayed in i slept with my heater on!! i live in illinois an did not have much of a summer anyway but i do feel the pain.... L-2 L-3 L-4 L-5 S-1 reconstructive surgery 7 months po
  • Living in Utah, it rains for weeks in the spring and fall and the winter is sooo cold! From what I have figured out, the rainy weather is a factor, but I can also tell when the Low pressure moves in, I can't hardly move!
  • Wrambler said:
    We have to live with it best we can.
    Warm hot weather brings me less pain and I can get by pretty well. This last week the temps are dropping and the rains are moving in and out. I have gone from not turning the SCS and just living with a little pain to running it all day long.

I'd say it was all in my head, but it is my back, neck, shoulder and arm the bear the brunt of the pain.

Scared me today, got a call dr code 006! I resynched and all worked fine, that was a relief!

Here's something for you so you know your SCS is functioning just fine.

Medtronic tech said:
    0 to 250 Invalid settings were detected in the patient programmer.
    The patient should remove the programmer batteries and
    re-insert them after a few seconds. The error code should
    disappear. If it reappears, the patient programmer may need
    to be replaced.
  • I should know that by now for any electronic device!
    It has worked fine since, I'll remember to pull the battery before running to the dr! I just put new batteries in the programmer the day before, so maybe that confused it.
This discussion has been closed.