Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

did anyone get the tag number of that truck??

mommatialuvmmommatialuv Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Seriously though, my l4-s1 surgery was on Monday.My time in recovery,6 hours, waiting for abed on the neuro floor was almost pain free, lots of pain meds. :) my daughter thought it was pretty funny actually. :) because i was awake but feeling no pain. MOnday was pretty uneventfull, overall. Tuesday morning i was seen by PT and didnt do very well, left leg was completely numb, tingly and constant pain. I was sent for x-ray and CT. X-ray techs were as gentle and helpful as possible, but i had to stand for pics. CT not so nice. They were seroiusly rough. I was wheeled out of there crying, not just a tear or two you cant stop, but boo hoo crying from pain. I was so mad. I complained to everyone. My nurse on teh floor was great and helped me get my apin back under control, and we remained friends :). By Wednesday i was feeling semi human again, pt cam back and i walked about 15 feet with a walker and 2 therapists. It looked like i was headed for inpatient rehab. Lots of trouble with the left leg/hip/ tushie. Doc that there was a nerve that was very inflamed and irritated during surgery, and that it would -take time- to heal. I was headed for inpatient rehab. BU Thursday AM i was feeling a bit better over all, not the left leg but everything else, i was eating, and had a great attitude. I asked for pt to re-evaluate me. Even t hought i was/am still numb and tingling i could put weight on my left leg with minimal pain. I walked about 150 feet and after talking with PT was told that since i dont have steps at home, i could do OP rehab, wooo hoooo, i was headed home. Came home Thursday evening, the ride was ... challenging, so i went straight to bed. Woke up several times in severe pain on both sides from the hip bones down. I missed the adjustable bed from the hospital. Hubby left for work about 0730 daughter arrived about 0815. Getting out of bed and into a chair was like going to heaven. I sat there about 1/2 an hour then proceded to the shower, another bit of heaven. I took a nap with out all of the pain from the night before and am doing ok.
BOttom line, I think i'm gonna make it :). Still have numbness from the knee down on the left leg/foot. but with the regularity of my pain meds am semi functioning with my walker/daughter. I am taking hydrocodine every 6 hours with tylenol in between, it seems to be working pretty well, not pain free but definatly tolerable. sorry for any misspellings but wanted to touch base. Headed for another nappie.
Thanks for the well wishes and prayers, they worked.


  • We talked in chat before your surgery. So glad to hear you are doing well, as well as can be expected at this stage. Sounds more like a Volkswagen, lol.

    Best to you,

  • So glad to hear that you are doing so well after your surgery!
  • So glad to hear that you are doing so well after your surgery!
  • Hopefully with time and some PT you will feel the benefits soon. I really hope you get the relief you deserve shortly.
    I loved having my hubby at the hospital with me but really did enjoy when he went to work after all my surgeries. Poor guy would just sit there and stare at me in horror everytime I would make a sound. I think I scared him!
    Take care and hopefully you can get some rest soon.
  • So pleased you're doing well - it's only been a few days. My surgery isn't until next month and I hope I do as well as you when I get home.

    Take care and rest and walk as much as you're able to. Hope the numbness improves.


    XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Check your hydrocodone and see if it says APAP afterwards. That means it has Tylenol in it as well. If you are taking Tylenol between doses of the hydrocodone and it does have Tylenol in it you may be overdoing it.

    If in doubt about the APAP in the perscription, call your pharmacist.

    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Wow sounds like you are doing great. I had 2 level last year and I got hit by the Mack Truck, sounds like the VW got you! Glad to hear you are doing so well, so soon. You might want to check and see if your ins. co will pay for rental hospital bed. I have one and it made a huge difference in comfort. But I am glad to see you doing so well. Just dont sit more than 15 min at a time. Not good for fusions. And take it easy and walk when you can. You are doing great! Hope to hear more good updates soon! Love, Robin
  • I read about the muscle spasms but "feeling is believing" thank God for muscle relaxers. Fortunatly they allow me to sleep for 1-2 hour intervals, unfortunatly they make me need them more often. Its ok though, they make a big difference with the pain. My big question now is how long should it take for the bowels to start moving again, i know pain meds can affect this, but i have been taking laxatives and stool softeners... nothing... not even the urge, i know i am constipatied but dont "feel" constipated, unless it could be causing hip and leg pain. any insight/advice will be greatly appreciated. I will call the doc Tuesday( Mon holiday)It is beginning to worry me, this is day 7.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • like raisin bran, mini wheats or whatever. Lots of fluid, and it just takes time. Should be there in the next day or so, if not talk to Dr. You dont want to get bad and have to strain to much. I did and was no fun, and very painful! Just lots of fiber , When I take senna s and am bad I take the max of pills and max of stool softner. Hope this helps.
Sign In or Register to comment.