Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello: a new member who rides horses, hurts and is afraid of back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
I am going in for my 4th epidural tomorrow afternoon. They help, but are quite a process as the spinal stenosis & spondylolisthesis causes the MD to try and try again, takes 2 sites to get in (the last 2 times at least). Thought seriously about surgery. Minimally invasive TLIF is the recommended type. I am hesitant as I ride a horse (dressage)and fear that I will not be able (allowed) to ride post-surgery. I can ride now without pain, but sleeping at night is very painful due to siactic pain in right leg, walking is not fun and I live in a 2 story house. Have people on this site ridden post-surgery?

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. sorry you are facing some added problems with your upcoming injection.. ~X( i have sciatica and do not sleep much at night at all. ~X( check out the "Sleep Problems" forum under " insomniac buddies." :? feel free to join in, it can make a long night much shorter.. :D have you tried any of the nerve pain medications? :? talk to your doctor about this if you are interested. :-C good luck with some added pain relief! :D Jenny :)
  • I am so sorry to hear of your suffering. I do know that there are horseback riders here and I am sure that one of them will stop by at any time and tell you what their experience has been. Have you asked your doc about riding after surgery? That would probably give you the best answer for your own personal situation. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I appreciate your advice. It helps to know there are others who are going through similar things. I am sorry that you also have the siatic pain at night. I do not wish that on anyone. I will look into the Sleep Problems forum area and who knows? may join. I usually try and stay in bed when the pain wakes me, since I have to work the next day and I really need to try and sleep. But I might, and I will discuss the nerve pain meds with MD. I am hoping the epidural today will help the night pain. thanks
  • i have not ridden a horse {ever!} but after my 2 lots of surgery i am lucky to even walk! if you are having sciata you must have some sort of nerve impingement probably L5/S1 and more than likely will require some sort of surgery laminectomy /discectomy i would have thought .now even with a good operation your back will never be the same again and will require looking after .if you can live with sciatica {and not many can } then don't have an operation. but i think that you will find that the leg pain will be too much for you .and an operation will be your only option .but like i said your back will never be the same and to add to the misery you will more than likely require further surgery as the years go on
  • Hi there!

Yes, I rode horses, but now wish I hadn't! I know dressage requires many hours' practising and wonder whether it's a good idea to carry on with that particular area of riding, although I realise it'd break your heart to stop.

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do anything to aggravate my lower spine, but if you're young, you'll probably carry on regardless which is exactly what I'd have done when young!

You don't say where your spondylolisthesis is (lumbar or sacral?) or how it happened? I have similar problems in my L5/S1 region, so know what the pain's like - some days it's so excruciating, I can't even get up. As it is, I can't sit and have to spend my days lying in bed.

In your position, I'd ask your spinal neurosurgeon what he thinks about you continuing with dressage and riding in general.

I don't check messages regularly, but if you PM me, I'll get it!

The best of luck with whatever you decide to do!