Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had discectomy/laminectomy 4 weeks ago and feel on top of the world...after constant pain for 3 years and failed conventional methods. Is any out there who have had this surgery still pain free after having surgery a good few years ago...i am scared it can come back anytime soon.

Worried 37 yr old

• welcome you to this site. you are so fortunate to be pain free. i wish i could be like you. in order to prevent your pain from returning try to keep the muscles strong. you now know how bad this pain can be so there is added incentive to use preventative medecine. there are many articles here to help you stay pain free and there are many friends to be made here if you spend some time and share your thoughts with us...pete
  • Be kind to your back and be extra careful lifting and bending. I did have a microD in Dec. 07 and so far so good as far as the sciatica. Unfortunately I also have DDD and arthritis in my facet joints so I am not pain free. I do know that it is easy to reherniate after a discectomy so just be careful and hopefully you will be just fine. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • you are a very lucky person and the first person in 16 years that i have ever talked to that have had a good result with that operation! i have has 2 operations on my beck {see notes at the bottom of page} and i am in hell with pain and i now need another operation so you have done very well who did the operation if it was in the uk please PM me as we are not allowed to mention doctors by name !!!!
  • I had this surgery in 1986.It was quite successful.I was very active and worked hard to get back in shape with exercise and PT.Any disc we have worked on becomes weakened.Our bodies only have so much disc material-which naturally becomes becomes more porous as we age.Listening to a good PT and staying with exercises increases the strength of all the supporting structures around your disc.I took my good fortune for granted and continued doing aggressive sports,jogging and lifting.Stayed pain free and enjoyed a very active lifestyle-no physical limits.After all,rules were made for other people-I was symptom free. Twenty years later I had to have a fusion at the same site.I am just now gaining understanding and acceptance that my back will never be the same.Find a good physical therapist and listen to what he suggests.Bend,twist and lift as little as possible.Think before you do everything-learn about about good posture and proper mechanics.Remember the pain you were in-it will be a good motivator to take care of your back.My inability to use moderation and ego landed me right back on that surgery table.I know several people who have had the same surgery and remained intact.They were able to modify their behavior to decrease as much stress on their back as possible.Hope you can be one of them.
This discussion has been closed.