Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do You Think I am Barking Up A Dead Tree? - Edema ?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I am on Fentanyl patch - 75 mg every 3 days. Today was the day I put on my 8th patch. So I am still pretty new to all of this.

At first my feet swelled really really big and I made a thread about it and upon the advice I got here I went to the ER. There is no blood clots or anything serious. They ran blood work, doppler and the works on me.

Speed up to date.
After seeing 2 Drs and my PT now they think the F patch IS the cause behind the edema :''(

The F pacth is the ONLY thing that in 6 yrs since I was injured that touches my pain. I am out of pain now about 80% of the time. Well not 100% out but out enough I have even returned to work part time of our small family owned commercial cleaning biz.

SO I begged my Dr to please let me try to get the edema down. I am on a low dose of lasixs ( water pill ) 20 mg 1 x daily and am getting edema compression and massasages 3 x weekly, and I am wearing those sexy TEDS all the time when I am awake.

The edema is slowly going down...... very slowly. It is currently to a point where I think ( think ! ) I could live with it as this level if I had to.

In case you did not know edema is very painful - at least for me it is. It feels like a lighter is up against my feet.

SO - my question is - do any of you know anyone who has been successful at controling their edema?

Or am I barking up a dead tree ?

I am seeing my Dr. again this coming Thursday which will be "D" day with this situation for me...

I have read that rubbing your feet with raw lemons can help. At this point I would be willing to rub them in dogie poop lol if it me keep the patch which gives me a life back :$

• That's good news you're getting the edema under control. I also take a water pill because my one foot was so swollen I couldn't put shoes on. When I got my recumbent stationary bicycle I did a few minutes a day to get the circulation going and after would put my feet in a bowl of ice for the pain. Now I use my infrared heating pad to get rid of lactic acid build up in the muscles and my feet are almost normal now. so the peddling and heat helped me. I hope you feel better. I asked my Dr. for fentanyl patch and she said no so she upped the morphine for me but wish I had 80% pain relief. I'll see what the Neurosurgeon can do for me next month. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Charry you may be a life saver - well a pain saver at least - which in it's own way is a life saver - ya know ;)

I never thought of a bike! That makes perfect sense. When I go walking around walmart hanging on to the cart, I can feel my shoes getting more and more lose. I walk until my feet can't take it any more, but my feet DO go down in size.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! :)

Was/is your edema due to meds?

I am sorry to hear that you are not getting good pain relief :(
  • Hi Beth, sorry to hear the edema is still bothering you. I had it pretty bad a couple of years ago - my left foot and lower leg were really puffed up, I couldn't wear shoes or anything. Whenever I pressed my foot with my finger it would leave a big dent because of all the fluid retention! It turned out it was blood pressure related - my average blood pressure back then was 180/120, and I wasn't even aware of it. I am on hypertension meds now, and have it pretty much under control (it's around 100-110/65-70 most of the time).

I do know that certain medications can cause peripheral edema, drugs like gabapentin, for instance. Another thing I have that causes foot swelling, when it strikes, is gout - a lot worse than edema, believe me!

I hope you can continue to reduce the swelling so that you can carry on with fentanyl, as it must be such a relief to find a pain reliever that actually helps you a lot. Good luck.
  • :) :) :) If I got 80% relief with the F patch, I would do exactly as you are doing trying to control the edema. Isn't it a catch 22 that the patch helps your pain but the side effect, edema, gives you pain. What's up with that? (LOL!)

:D Thank goodness for this site -- so many people have such good suggestions and have dealt with what you going through. I had to laugh about walking through Wal Mart -- There's so many of us women with back issues holding onto carts at Wal Mart or using the electric carts. I bet I could start a little local "back" club just from the people I meet there (LOL!).

Hang in there Beth and hope your edema gets under control real soon.

• Thanks Huggy & Delta :)

We have a online group in my area called town cafe as well as a local freecycle. In the towncafe I posted late last night for a stationary bike and a lady emailed me and said she has one in good condition for 15.00!!!! I emailed her back and am waiting for us to set something up for me to go & get it.

Both of these groups are through yahoogroups - the freecycle everything is free - the towncafe one everything is priced well.

Keeping my fingers crossed I get this bike as was suggested by charry to help with the edema.

I hear ya about the "lady gimps" at walmart - I too have met several there lol ;)

• I got the bike !!!! It's a very nice bike. Hubby needs to clean it up some as it was in a garage and got a little icky. The lady who sold it to me also use to have bad edema and gave me all kinds of tips on getting rid of it.
    She told me that there is something in diet pop which I drink a LOT of that can cause this.

I am pretty sure the F patch is what caused this, but anything I can do to help balance things out I am wide open to :)

• Just wanted to say I am having the very same problem and my pain meds are causing it.
    I sleep with my legs elevated and that seems to help but also have to go without pain meds to really get the swelling down. It gets really, really bad.
    I fold up blankets to lay my legs on at night. Your hubby may not like it but it works!! I am divorced so have no one else to worry about.
    I also set with my legs propped up on a foot stool. A recliner would be great but do not have one.
    Anyway....keeping your legs elevated as much as you can when sitting will really help.
    Good luck dear....
    Sending a hug.... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • HI Pat :)

Hubby & I most often work opposite shifts so no sleeping issues here lol

I was so looking forward to the bike being the answer & a way I could exercise and lose some of this weight.

Hubby adjusted the seat height for me and I got on and within 1/2 a turn of the peddles was screaming in pain.

Hubby jumped up and grab me. After I was able to breath again ( I seem to lose it when in extreme pain ) I tried again with him holding on to me. My right hip throws me way off to the left side. I mean this literally. It throws me like a horse bucking. I have no control over it.

So the next day I went to my PT and showed them what happens they said it is a hip joint issue. I knew I need a new hip but never thought it so involved this extent :(

I am VERY bummed!

BUT moving on to better news - The edema seems to be under control. My friend & I were talking on the phone about all this & she kept saying those sound like the wrong TEDS. I I kept saying they can't be. Anyways she came right down to where I work with 4 pair of her TEDS and helped me get them on and within 5 minutes my feet were going down in size! I only wore them for about 1 hr before I came home and went to bed and this morning my feet are almost NORMAL!

Pat - I took your advice and proped my feet up last night to sleep.

The TEDS I had from a medical supply store with a script looked like heavy pantie hose. The ones she gave mep lasthite and much heavier.

Who would have thought that something like a different pair of TEDS was the answer.

Well I HOPE is the answer and this is not a short term success.

Thanks again to all! :)

I see my Dr. on Thursday and will see what he has to say.
  • I know what you are going through. I too wher those lovely looking stockings, at least I triesd the for eight days. No Luck with the selling. I amon a fluis pill howerve it does not touch the swelling in my foot. I have stenosis , bulging discs, and multi leel DDD. hen I talk to the Dr.s I have seen from orthos' , to spine orthos, pain clinic , Primary no one seems concerned. I tell them this started when the pain in my back and sciatica started 5 months ago. I drag my self to work every day wearing a suit but if you look down I have sneakers on . The swelling is so bad I cannot get a shoe on . I know the edema is just adding pain and weakness to my problem . Hope you get lucky with a treatment of some kind . Please pass it on ,
  • Hi Karen :)

be sure to ck back here if I get the "cure" i will be sure to share it here for you to find.

I too am on a water pill - it was/is worthless - well maybe not - who knows how bad this could be with out the pill - ya know?

Do you sleep with your feet up?

Just tonight I started resting my feet on a crate ( the kind they sell in stores for storage and such ) while at my desk & that too has really helped.

What type of the sexy TEDS did you get? Maybe yours are wrong as mine were.

I read some where that soaking your feet in epsome ( sp? ) salt with warm water helps - I am going to try it. Heck I'll try about anything as I am sure you would too ;)

Please do keep me posted how your doing ;)

• I am so happy to hear hear you are doing better!! Yippeeeee Glad the swelling has gone down. I would
    hate the thoughts of you going back off the meds that are actually helping!!
    My legs are "plumping" up this evening. Have not had a chance to elevate them today. The ONLT time they swell like this is when I take pain meds and it just started about a month ago.
    Keep up the good work!!
    Hugsssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Thanks Pat >:D< so sorry to hear yours are not doing well :(
  • I'm sorry about the bike. Is it a recumbent exercise bicycle? not upright. Anyway of course sorry to offer that advice and always check with your Dr. with any program. I forgot to mention I wore TEDS also for the edema and while exercising gently. Take care and glad you got the swelling down. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.