Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help Understanding MRI results

LumpyLLumpy Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello All!

I have recently injured my neck at work and am in the process of getting a neuro surgeon. I have already been to my primary and have had my initial MRI, but I have not gotten an official diagnosis or interpretation of the MRI results, other than the copy of the pics and a radiologist's report to take to the NS whenever I find one.

Can anyone tell me what this means? Don't worry. I am not seeking medical advise, just an idea of what I am looking at and the degree of seriousness. I was hoping some of you may have had similar results and can share your experiences.

I'm going to try to post a link to a scanned copy of the summary and the detailed results. Thanks for any help/opinion/experience you can offer!

• Interpretation or "ideas" of what is shown on an individual's MRI is something that needs to be done by a qualified professional. Spine Health forums are made up of people from all walks of life and very few even have professional experience or training on interpreting MRI's. It is too easy to give someone a false impression or false hope by trying to "help out". Your best bet is to wait it out and see what the neurosurgeon has to say.

• It's a shame that you have to wait on W/C instead of being able to use your own health insurance. Here's a question for you, is it possible to get one of your docs to look at your results while you wait on W/C? Not for them to treat you, but just someone to "take a look" for you.

Yes I've been through the "wringer" a few times, but I always find a way to bounce back. Hopefully your journey will be a far smoother one!

• Thanks for the response "C"

Looks like you have been through a war, literally. That is one long history of pain!

I fully understand what you are saying about opinions. I am very aware of the varied opinions and the harm in taking layman's opinions too close to heart. I'm sitting here perusing the internet and reading various forums and sites while waiting for someone to call back and tell me how many weeks out my NS appointment will be IF I can get someone to deal with the worker's comp insurance. Stinks. Especially since I have excellent health insurance that I can't use.

(EDIT: I have removed the MRI info)

Wayne (AKA Lumpy)
  • I have had nerve issues in my arms and other neurological issues, so I have my own neurologist. He doesn't do back/neck, though. He is the one who ordered the MRI. He would only say it gives reason for concern and there could be a pinched nerve. Other than that, he would only refer me to a NS for a more detailed opinion. Unfortunately, he is a "I don't think I should talk to mere mortals" doctor [-( The W/C primary only said he thinks it would be best to refer me to an NS and he hoped I wouldn't need surgery. He explained some of the terminology, but wouldn't access the severity of the issue. He did offer me my choice of pain meds :?? I'll stick with the light stuff for now. I am finding the W/C world to be strange...

EDIT: I have removed the MRI info and would remove the thread, if the forum allowed. Sorry for asking an inapproprate question concerning my personal info...
  • The key is to get opinions from the guys/gals who actually do the "repair work" so to speak. They look at the MRI images and actually "see" what can or cannot be done, versus what a radiologist or neurologist might or might not see.

Stay on top of your W/C rep and don't let them drag this out, especially if there's the possibility you have nerve entrapment. Keep records of everything and get copies of everything you can. Be your own best advocate and own best defense.

Keep us posted on what you find out.