Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

txmemaw5ttxmemaw5 Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
ACDF c5/6...Aug 8, 2009...plate /4 screws..
doing better all around..my question is with the incision.
mine feels like it has a hard lump under it...will this go away in time..it is smaller now than at the beginning..also is anyone using Vitamin E oil on there? I am, been told it will help......
Looking forward to your responses...take care everyone...

• Yes, I had a lump the entire length of my incision(mine is vertical and about 2.75 inches long). It does go away. It feels kind of hard, bumpy and irregular?

Did your surgeon tell you to put your fingers on your incision and rotate the area a few times a day? Mine did after I was done with my hard collar. She said that would keep the scar tissue from adhering to anything in that area of the neck. Just curious.

• You have described my lump to a tee...and so glad to hear it will go away..mine is 3" long and horizonal...NS said to put Vitamin E oil on it 2-3 times a day and rub in (moving skin), said this would keep it from sticking to underneath...Thanks so much for responding..glad to know this is normal...
    may I ask how long it took u to fuse..my surgery was 8-6-09 and will have xrays done nov 5..hope for good news...am so scared fusion won't work..(I know this is in my head) no indications otherwise....take care...
  • At my appointment in January, my C4/5 and 5/6 were fused. The C6/7 was on the way, but it's the most difficult to fuse because it's used the most when moving your head.

They did x-rays in July and didn't say anything about nonfusion. (I didn't specifically ask because I was more concerned about my lumbar issue at the time.) When I asked generally about how my neck x-ray looked, he told me that I have some movement in my C5/6 joint that shouldn't be moving, but nothing to be concerned about. I'm assuming my fusion at C6/7 is good or they would've said something.

I haven't done anything to help my scar keep from showing because I kind of think of it as a badge of honor. But it's barely noticeable now anyway. It's still numb, though.

I know it's hard to wait and see how things are going in there. Are you taking any Calcium supplements? That would be good if your surgeon approves of your taking it. I noticed after my surgery I craved milk. I still do.

Take care.

• Thks again for response..yes NS has me on Calcium with D..600mg 2X...I haven't ever been a big fan of milk (any shape size or form). never cared for it as a child..I asked NS if that was part of causing my problem..he said no, mine was a "case of bad luck". But I am trying to drink milk more than usual. I can't wait for my exrays..I need to see for myself that the BGS is actually doing what it is supposed to be doing. I hate that thing and it best be doing its job.
    Take care...
  • I have another question for you. You say that the doc says your problem was a "case of bad luck." What does he/she mean? (I'm sorry, I don't remember your story...)

It's interesting because so many people say they don't know what happened to them to have so many problems. I was the same way and then my PCP, surgeon and I decided my problems stemmed from a bad car accident I had almost 30 years ago that damaged a small part of my spine and then was a domino effect as the years went by until I am where I am now.

Amazing, isn't it?
  • Thanks for response...to the best of my knowledge..my problem started when I was 16 yrs old (now 55)..a-frame on car dropped..causing me to slam into a telephone pole at 40mph..being young..I thought I was fine...but over the yrs always had some kind of neck problems and still didn't pinpoint it..3 yrs ago went to chiropractor...said my neck looked like it had been in a trainwreck...went for adjustments/treatments for 2 yrs and seemed like it just got worse each time...finally saw I needed to see someone else something wasn't right..went to pcp next and he saw I really needed help...Went to NS and he couldn't believe I'd stood it as long as I had... said DDD ..C5C6 were all but gone along with a collapsed bone...from there on to surgery ...Just ready to be back to normal..Dr said it took me along time to get this way and will be a long recovery but there is a light at the end of the tunnel now..
    Take care..good thoughts for you...