Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic neck Pain

tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Just thought I would share this video, with some of you suffering from chronic pain, following surgery. So while your neck may be structurally sound and you wonder why you still have pain and the spasm, maybe this is part of the reason. I know it is for myself. This is actually a real diagnosis and recognized in the medical community and you may have for the rest of your life as a chronic condition. Just some FYI to maybe helping someone find some relief or understanding.

• I'm so glad you posted this. I'm almost a year post-op and I still have significant pain in my neck and shoulder, but mostly in my neck.

This video was very, very helpful. Thanks for posting it.

• I have had a "Knot" in my back for quite some time. When my pain returned after the surgery, I assumed it was a pulled muscle. Of course it wasn't. This video is very good at explaining things and was very helpful.

Thanks again!
  • Well that is a great explanation. Is there any info on whether it goes away with treatment or time?
  • Kris,
    Honestly I am not really sure. Some suspect that it could be the lead into fibro, but that is from some reading off the mayo site. I am about 2 years into it and we do the injections and it comes back. The doctors term it chronic at this point and time. The key is that I am armed with many tools to help it, though and try to hold the triggers at bay some what. I am by far any expert on it, just see so many here post and that sounds like what they are describing. Of course always check with your doctor and discuss this possibility with them and get there input.
  • That video was very good. I actually had a "lump" that formed after I was in spasm years ago, first thought by the doctors to be a muscle spasm, and then they thought it was soft tissue and had me have a CAT scan to make sure it wasn't a tummor. It had become a raised area on the back of my neck, the size of my hand, and was a noticiable protrusion. I only mention it, because now 5 1/2 weeks after surgery, it is 1/2 the size it use to be which poves what I knew it was muscle. Unfortunately, it is being replaced by all the new post op pain described in the video.

• Do any of you know how this is diagnosed? I have some of the symptoms but not all. Also, I had pretty much the same pain before and after surgery, so would that exclude me?

Thanks for posting it Tamtam! I hope to learn a lot more about it.
  • Hi Quilt

I don't think it is so much a diagnosis as trying the cure and if that works you got it!! I know when the PT massages my neck and back they get to these hard lumps. SOmetimes they are small and round some seem to be more rectangular.

I am going tomorrow for my first injections. From what I have read and heard the doctor will inject into these hard spots. Hopefully this will relieve the pain for a while.

Like so much of this back/nerve problem the doctors are looking for a relief more than trying to put a name to the problem. It truly can be trial and error.
  • My Doctors diagnosed it by his clinical findings then confirmed the diagnoses by treating it and watching it return. So basically I would go for treatment and while it would make me feel better, it would come back. One thing key is that there isn't anything mechanical causing the condition, which is why I say to discuss the issue with your doctor.
  • Hi Kris,
    Did your injections work? When I had cortisone injections in my neck about 4 years ago, they did not help at all but the Novacane like numbing shot did help for about 24 hours.

Tell us what you experienced.
  • Tamtam,
    I appreciate you sharing this and I feel that this could be something that I have.
    Can you share what kind of "clinical findings" are you talking about?
    How did your doctor treat your myofascial pain? When you say that "it would come back" does that mean that it worked for several weeks or what before coming back?
    I read the Mayo site on this and it was interesting, but it did not say as much as I'd hoped. Did you find any other sites that were particularly good?
    I will see my regular doctor tomorrow and hope to talk with him about this.
    Thank you,