Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here-hoping to get some insight into treatment options :)

truffleloverttrufflelover Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi- I am a 49yo who has been suffering with severe L shoulder/rhomboid pain for 3yrs. After trying P.T., trigger point injections,massage and seizure meds my neurologist finally ordered an M.R.I.The results were as follows: From C3 - C7 bone spurs on L side with uncovertebral SEVERE foraminal stenosis. Also @ C6 a disk protrusion. I was started on pneumatic traction device @ home using 25lbs once a day. This has helped with the rt.sided burning sensations that went up & down my rt. arm. However, the pain on my left shoulder/rhomboids has not responded. The ONLY thing that helps this pain is a 7-10 course of steroids.But within a couple of weeks the pain returns. It is UNBEARABLE :(. Many times I have to go to my bedroom and cry so my 10yo won't see me. The doc wants me to try direct steroids in the vertebrae, but my pain doc feels that this is just a band-aid solution and @ my age, longterm steroid use will only add to my problems. The mri also stated DDD. Also, the risk of needed to be intubated is high when given these injections in the cervical region. I am going to a phsyciatrist next week and a spine surgeon. Are there any people out there who have similar issues? Please share your thoughts with me. What questions should I be asking these doctors? I think the phsyciatrist works to help your body heal itself,not sure. I tried posting on the main board and got little response. PLEASE, PLEASE I need all the info. I can get as there are days when I can no longer stand it.
Thanks-Donna
advertisement

Comments

• First off... Welcome To Spine Health.
    Just my opinion as far as the left shoulder, I think that since steroids seemed to help the left arm, that the injections to the problem are would definitely be my first choice. I had 2 in my cervical area, and the procedure is quick and not very painful. As far as surgery, from experience, I would try most treatments first because for most of us post op patients , there tends to be ongoing problems with the surrounding areas, and most of us still live in different levels of ongoing pain.
    Just see what the phsyciatrist and surgeon says and hopefully you can get relief without having to have surgery. There are a lot of success stories from the injections and surgery should be a last option unless you have nerve impingement or spinal cord impingement.
    Let us know how the doc visits go, and were always here for support. You can PM me if you just need to talk or vent
  • Donna,
    I have never heard of anyone being intubated for a injection. They may give you a light sedative if you like but that is about it. They do make you change into gowns and make it so it is a sterile environment. They may monitor you vitals afterwards to see how you are doing, as well. The injections are done under flourascopic guidance as well. The process take maybe 15 minutes if that. I elected to not use anything except the local. I am not going to say there is risk. But there are risk for any procedure or drug in medicine, just the nature of the beast.

As far as going to a phsyciatrist, I think that is a good choice as well. I also think you should seek the opinion of a orthepedic surgeon or a nuerosurgeon and just see what they think and get some choices from them. My concern is by letting a condition go onto long you are risking permanent nerve damage. Surgery may not even be warranted at all. Most surgeons don't like to operate unless it is the last resort. But they can also help decide the best plan of treatment for you, as well. As far as questions see the FAQ section at the top and there is a link close to bottom with 38 questions to ask a surgeon but you can make them fit your situation. Take care and keep us posted on what the doc says.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome. I'm sorry you've been suffering for so long. I hope that you can find a way to control your pain. I know how aggravating and disheartening it gets. I agree a second or even third opinion would be ideal. I haven't had the injections but most have them before considering surgery. I think that's one of the steps required by most insurance companys? I'm sure more people here will tell you about their experiences with the injections. Good luck in whatever you do and if I can help you in any way let me know.

Debbie