Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

over a yr since laminectomy lumbar fusion multi level need advice

lheinzellheinze Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello, ok it's been a little over year since i had a laminectomy lumbar fusion multi level L4 L5 and S1. the only time i do not have pain is when i walk. i am back in physical therapy and then back to the neurosurgeon to do an MRI. and when i lay on the floor to do my stretches it hurts so much i am tough but gosh not that tough i quess. the lower part of my back is so sore. is this normal? i know it's been a yr but will it ever get better? i don't have anyone that i know who has had this and those people that i try to discuss this with say oh it's been a yr you should be fine!! help!!

• Do you happen to be thin? Sometimes thin people have trouble with their hardware. Do you know if your hardware is tight and in the right position? It sounds like you are experiencing pain from the hardware rather than from another problem.

I had my fusion in Jan. of 2008 and while I still have some problems, I never had a moment's pain from my hardware. Lying on the floor is my favorite thing to do. Whenever my back is tired I hit the floor.

There are people on the board who have had their hardware removed, for a variety of reasons. If you are fused, there is no reason that it cannot be removed. What did your MRI reveal?
  • I am 6 months post op from a 360degree fusion from L1-S1. I suffered from severe DDD, Spondylosis, Stenosis, facet atrophy-but the deciding factor for the surgery was I developed severe scoliosis, after I lost the disc height, and vertabre all fell-the spine pulled into an S. You cant even imagin the nerve pain that I dealt with during this time!

From month 3-6 following the surgery-I tried Physical therapy, but was unsuccessful. I am plagued with spasticity in my right leg that is brought on by range of motion-so now I am trying Aqua Therapy. I take Baclofen to control the leg spasms, but only get minimal relief. the back pain is still horrible but i know exercise will help- I am hoping Aqua therapy works.

I am still taking pain meds and I was wondering if anyone recovering from a similar surgery can tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am tired of being in such pain everyday.
This discussion has been closed.