Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hey everyone i am new to this but i need info. i had a microdisectomy on my L5-S1 on sept 17 of this year. for the first three weeks the pain in my leg stopped hurting but now it is back with a vengence. is this normal. this has been the worst surgery i have ever had and believe me i have had many. i went home the same day only to return the next day by ambulance in so much pain i could not walk. they kept me in bed on morphine drip for 4 days. when i came home things seemed to get better until the 8th day when my incision started to bleed everytime i moved. and i dont mean just a little spot or two. it took about a week for that to stop and now the pain is back. what is going on? i dont see my dr. until next week. is this normal?

• Sorry you're in so much pain since your microdiscectomy. Are you able to see your doctor earlier than the appointment you have next week?

I had a laminectomy/discectomy last year which didn't help me. I was ok resting but any activity put me into a major flare and I had to go back to bed. A few weeks after my surgery, I had to have a CAT scan and an MRI. The CAT scan showed that there was some spinal fluid. That resolved itself.

I've read posts here from people who have had good results from a microdiscectomy, but it takes time to heal.

Take things as easy as you can before you see the doctor and I hope your pain becomes less.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I could not tell if you are having pain from the surgery or pain from the original herniation. I had a microdisectomy which basically removes one side of he herniation. It can provide almost instant relief of a compressed nerve on either the left or right side. The surgery may bring about some swelling which can cause other pain. Sometimes, the micro surgery may not get all of the herniation. More of the herniation can also come out after the surgery. These are just some things to think about when trying to determine what is causing the pain. Did they put in any hardware, or just remove a herniation? It may take several weeks to see in the swelling from the surgery goes away. I hope this helps.
  • hello there.
    i had a micd on the same day as you did.
    i was released after 24hours after the surgery and i actually took a 3 hour flight too.
    my leg pain went away and came back after 15days..a little here and there..i have heard its the case with most people.
    when they opened my stiches the wound had dried up and than 2 days after that i had bleeding just like yours.
    i have been seing a doc for the last 5 days..what had happen is a small infection in my case .they put me on antibiotics and now my infection is over and the bleeding has reduced.
    i suggest you get urself checked asap and not wait a week.
    with regards to the pain and feeling confused...its normal,i have spoken to most people going through this.
    all i can tell you is that positive thinking helps a lot.
    i put me entire focus and energy towards my lower back and say to my self that i am getting better...trust me it helps
    take care and i hope you get better soon
    if you on facebook let me know
    look me up as kamal teckwani
    would keep u updated as to whats happening with me and u can do the same
  • I had a microdicectomy 12/08 which helped my sciatica, however did absolutely nothing for my chronic back pain. Finally my insurance paid for a 360 alif and I am 6 wks out from that. I havn't had the pain you had, and feel soooooo bad for you. I pray relief comes soon for you.
    Sincerely, Rachel

• It's sad that you have to get cut open like that.
    There is a version where the incision is only 4mm long. Just a bandaid is all that is needed to heal the incision closed. No stitches.
    I have 2 of these (one for L4-L5 and another for L5-S1)

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hello, this is my first posting. I have had sciatica on and off for about 18 months. an MRI showed a disc bulge and I am now due to have the disc trimmed. It it has taken so long for the surgery to come around that I am no longer in pain. I want the surgery because I know it will reoccur at some point. My question is whether there is still a bulge if I am not in pain and will the surgeon therefore be able to do anything when he operates, will there be anything to trim off?
  • Jordan,
    how old is the MRI?

Crazyily enough, people can have big herniations/bulges and not even know it because they have no symptoms or pain.

Of course, there are also those that show no bulging/herniation and have bad pain.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008