Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

top of the forearm pain

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Just when you think you are in enough pain...For the last few months I have been experiencing debilitating pain down the top of my forearm into my thumb on my right side. It starts at my shoulder and into my right side of my neck. On the left side, I get like 'charlie horse' feeling in my hand, lots of elbow pain. And really unable to turn my head to the left.

The nuerosurgeon doesn't believe my pain is from my c56 disc herniation. If that is true then what is the source of the pain? Is it coming from my spastic muscles? Is it something orginating in my shoulders themselves?

I know that you can't diagnosis...but perhaps some of you experience this type of pain, and would have some suggestions for investigation.

thank you patti

• I also have forearm pain into my thumb . I have been in therapy for 6 months after my second fusion for c5 c6 herniation and cord compression. My Physical therapist says the pain is coming from the C6 nerve root. I haven't been back to the NS yet but he will most likely tell me to learn to live with it.
  • When I get a flair up,aside from the pinched nurve feeling, that runs from the bottom of my rt shoulder bladd through the shoulder blade into my neck,through my shoulder,just below my elbow which feels like its going to explode and ending in my fingers.I also find my skin becomes extremels sensative
  • Don't you love it when they tell you that you shouldn't have that pain with your condition? I have read hundreds of posts here from peeps with injurys and test results similar to mine and they have similar pains. But since these aren't the classic herniation pains the docs say it isn't coming from there.

Well either the docs don't know everything or there is something that they are ALL missing. Some new condition that they are missing.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a very frustrating day....

By the way .. just when you think the sky is falling on you.... the ceiling in my office at work fell in on me this week...thank god I got up 15 seconds before. This injury has made me very jumpy..guess tht is a good thing.
  • After my C5/6 fusion, I had the exact type of pain you describe. Had to be readmitted for pain control by IV it was so bad. Sounds to me that maybe another opinion is warranted.

Best to you,

• so you had this pain AFTER surgery? Where they able to state why you had this pain?

I can tell you it has been horrible - I just don't get it. I can no longer open the jars with my right hand (i am dominate right), open or close my truck's tailgate using my right hand. Brushing my teeth can be very painful.

thanks you for your guidance. I don't wish to have a life of pain or pain meds if it can be avoided. I do understand that surgery may not do a thing or make the problem worse. I am just plain and simple baffled and frustrated and in a lot of pain!

• Same pain for me, however it also includes my outer upper arm, too. It travels from my neck to my upper shoulder, down to my shoulder blade area across my bi-cep down my forearm and into my thumb and index finger. I had surgery 4 years ago, fusion at C45 & C56. Yep, I do believe this is where the action is coming from.
  • Just had nerve root injection for pain coming down my left side of neck and into shoulder, down forearm and into fingers. Made symptoms worse. Also, someone mentioned muscle relaxants and nerve relaxants. What is an example of a nerve relaxant? Have taken many drugs for this over the years, lyrica, neuronton, etc.
  • I would also like to know what a Nerve Relaxant is???
  • I should clarify, I had a nerve root injection at c6-7. Felt great until the numbing agent wore off, then worse. 2 days later - worse! Any suggestions?
  • Neurontin seems to be the favored nerve relaxant. Usually they use this along with a muscle relaxant like Skelaxin. There are many different brands.

Sometimes I think they just throw everything at you and hope that something helps.

When I started these drugs back in August I didn't think they were helping. Now if am a hour or so late in taking a dose I am in alot more pain. And if I forget to take before bed I'm up all night.
  • I have very similar pain. It starts next to my spine at the bottom of my shoulder blade and follows what I believe is the trapezius muscle up into my shoulder and into the top of my arm, to about short sleeve length, skips my forearm, and into my hand to my thumb and my ring finger. The neck epidurals did nothing to help this pain. The trapezius muscle is rock hard and using the lacross ball against the wall really hurts but gives a little relieve. Last Friday the pain management doctor put 4 steroid injections along that rock hard muscle and the pain stopped within minutes. I keep using the ball and do stretches and so far the pain has not returned.