Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is microdiscectomy possible for me?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, this is my first posting. I am from the UK and stumbled across this site so hope you can help me.
I have had sciatica on and off for about 18 months. an MRI showed a disc bulge and I am now due to have the disc trimmed. It it has taken so long for the surgery to come around that I am no longer in pain. I want the surgery because I know it will reoccur at some point. My question is whether there is still a bulge if I am not in pain and will the surgeon therefore be able to do anything when he operates, will there be anything to trim off?

• How old is the MRI?
    From what I understand and have experienced from the surgeons I have consulted with, they liked the MRI's to be no older than 6 months.

What level is your herniation?

Just be aware that there may be neural impingement.
    My L4-L5 disc impinged the nerve that goes to the leg. I did not notice it until it was pointed out to me, but my right calf had shrank an inch and a half.
    That was over the course of about 8 months.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hi Paul, mine is the very bottom vertabrae, L5 S1 something like that?!?! My scan was in August and I was practically bed bound at that time. My left leg is still not 100% because I still have numbness but really no pain at all.