Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

could I lossen hardware by choking and gaging

cybertonyccybertony Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I tried to swallow a large calcium pill I guess my thought is swollen from the surgery it would not go down then it finally did, after I thought it was still stuck and started to gag and cough I really don't think that would be enough to loosen my hardware but I am still woried about it and dont feelik going and sitting in the er for hours anyone else ever a had a simler problem and the screws remained fine, Thanks Tony

• PS just had the surgery on wednesday Oct 7
  • I think you should be okay. Those screws are pretty tough, and it would be difficult to move the hardware from coughing. However, come Monday morning you should phone your doctor and fill them in on what happened.

Yuck, to get a pill stuck. What a scary feeling that must have been! Sometimes it will go down better with a little applesauce, so try that next time. Better yet cut it in half first.

do you have plenty of throat lozenges or cloraseptic throat spray? That is a lifesaver for use the first week after surgery.

You are fresh out of surgery with a few weeks of misery still to come. I hope all things go well in your recovery and be sure to ask if you have specific questions. It will get easier to swallow with time.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thanks I guess I actually started to have a panic attack I should have never attempted that horse pill I'm starting to relax now I'm going to try and sleep it off thanks again
  • Sleep will probably help. But always call your doctor if you are unsure about what to do. they can't help you if you don't let them know what is going on. I'm not saying to be a pest and call over every little thing, but when it is something that has you extremely worried, give them a call.

Good luck Tony.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thanks again Cindy just to update you I took a sleeping pill and slept like a baby I feel pretty good this morning.