Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One year ago ....

LeftbackLLeftback Posts: 404
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Good News
Friday, 10/16, was my 1st anniversary for my fusion! A year ago I never thought I would be this much better....remember, those first few days, weeks, and months? The second half of this year was easier as my dr. promised. Although, I still want and hope for more improvement I am thankful for where I am today. I know I'll never be the same and I miss my old self a lot sometimes. This may sound wierd but this is how I have described how I feel to my family and friends- It was like my body was dead (maybe in a deep sleep sounds better) and it is finally waking up, coming back to life! In the past few (about 6) weeks I am able to do more little things without thinking or trying so hard-Yahoo! I get so excited about simple things! I'm not sure if I will have permanent nerve damage or it will improve more with time because my dr. tells me it takes a very long time, you just never know or whether the pain will change for the better with time. But I am thankful for less pain than prior to surgery, more strength and endurance as this year progressed. If this is as good as it gets, I'll learn to live with it, as long as it never, ever gets as bad as it was a year ago!

I couldn't have made it through the tough times without all the support, information, and help from SH. Thanks!

I'm not leaving! I still need and appreciate your support and enjoy trying to support others in need too. Don't give up on me even though I haven't been able to check in often the past few weeks. Unfortunately, my husband has been having some issues with his back too (we're quite a couple!)and we both have had some other health issues we are dealing with too. This is one issue among a few others.... my dh thought he needed new glasses but instead we found out he has cataracts and they see "something" behind his eye they aren't sure what it is yet? They wanted him to act quickly so he had one cataract removed today...one down, one to go! So if I'm not checking in don't worry. I'm sure this will pass and things will settle down here soon! Luckily, our youngest son lives close to us and is very helpful! Take care and have a good day!

• It is really refreshing to hear somebody say that they are so much better after a spinal fusion. I am so sorry that you are now dealing with other health related issues and hope that all goes well for your husband and yourself. Take care of yourself and your family and post when you can.
  • Hi Kathy,

Good to hear that a year after surgery you are considerably better and have much less pain than v=before. I am sorry about the other health issues, and your husband's cataract surgery. Hopefully, it is a success.

Take care,
    wishing you the best,
  • I too have almost one year (2/12/09) since PLIF with instrumentation L1-S1 and I just completed our annual Disney World adventure. What a pleasure it was anticipating the attractions, avoiding the ones with neck and back warnings. Last year I was hoping to make it to the next bench let alone the next attraction. Life is so much better and I am back to baking and cooking without having to sit on a chair or hang on the the kitchen counter. Life is good!!!!
  • am looking for others who waited for improvement from sciatic pain after a L4-L5, L5-S1 fusion. I had initial improvement but have felt the same as before surgery lately. standing is a problem, but long walks are better than before.
    My Doctor says the fusion is good, and to give it more time.