Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hip pain 2 months after discectomy

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anybody have hip pain after their discectomy. I had my surgery on the L4/5 two months ago and it seems like my hip pain keeps getting worse. I didn't really have any hip pain before surgery. I don't have any sciatic issues in this side other than around my ankle.

I was wondering if i might be getting bursitis or some kind of inflammatory problems in the muscles around my hip. The more I walk the more it hurts.

This morning when I got up I was barely moving around for 10 minutes and my hip was hurting. I did do a lot yesterday between therapy and walking.

I have been taking anti-inflammatories but haven't noticed any progress yet.

• I had a microdiscectomy (L5/S1) about 2 months ago. I've had intermittent hip pain and heel pain. I think I'm still compensating for weak left leg (no ankle reflex so limping and still no feeling in most of left leg). I've found that if I walk 1.5-2miles a day (in a single stretch), my pain is less intense. I've not started therapy yet b/c I was having trouble at 6 week appt . . slow progress and dr. confirmed that a lot of my other pain is due to slower healing.

Probably worth giving a call to the dr. to let them know.

I wish I could be more helpful.
  • We'll have to compare notes since were both 2 months out HA. I had sciatic issues with both legs, my left leg felt like my nerve was being ripped out and my leg was getting weak. A couple of weeks before surgery my right ankle starting getting weak.

Yea ive told the Dr. about my problems but he just acts like this is normal. I still have sciatic issues with my left leg and sometimes around my right ankle the weakness feeling is gone, and this deal with my hip feeling like its going to fall off at times.

I normally walk 2 to 3 miles a day and go to therapy 3 times a week.

• I am 7 weeks post op and have hip pain as well throughout the day. Anyone know if this will subside? PA says could still be healing for up to one year after surgery.
    Patricia sepulveda
  • Suffered horrible bilaterally for 2 years. Can not walk more than 30 -40 steps without disabling pain. Was diagnosed with failed back surgery and widespread tendonitis and bursitis throughout hip and body. Will be trying a spinal cord stimulator in next couple weeks. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!! Had door slammed in my face by MANY doctors until I found the right orthopedic and neurosurgeons. Good luck!!!